Hen stopped laying on eggs for a day.

blakeee

Songster
Dec 31, 2016
Australia
Hi...
My hen stopped laying on her eggs all day after two cracked and ants were covered all over the other eggs. I have since moved the eggs and taken the ants off them but my question is... Will they still be alive? They are only new eggs so I won't be able to see by candling. TIA

I guess it depends on the ambient temperature where you live. There's no harm in trying. You should be able to see some signs of development after 7-10 days - then you will have an idea as to whether they are alive or not.

The ambient temperature where I live today was around 35 degrees Celsius. She's laying back on them now. I will candle them in 7-10 days. Thank you!

UPDATE:
Day 21 and I'm waiting for them to hatch! I candled them on day 18 and they looked the way they should judging by Google images.

Okay, so one of the eggs has a little crack in it that looks like it has come from the inside. However it's been like that for a few hours and hasn't changed at all. No other eggs have started yet. How long does it generally take after the first crack in an egg for the baby to come out?

Woke up to a little chick!! The others have not pipped yet. I'm worried that they did not survive. Is it correct that they can take up to another 2 hours?

Back
Top Bottom