Is Pg causing these white tip tail feathers?

n8ivetxn

Crowing
12 Years
Nov 15, 2011
Elma, Washington
I'm about to pull my hair out
barnie.gif
.... just trying to understand this rooster's genetic makeup so I can utilize him in a breeding pen... I just noticed these today and I waited for him to go to roost so I could get a better look. He has a partial tail, and a couple or 3 of the tail feathers have a faint white edge..

Here he is, you might've seen him before, I've posted a couple of times asking various questions about his makeup. He is an Araucana, albeit a little rough around the edges! Thanks for looking.... I welcome any attempts to map his genes!

Quote:
The pattern gene is not know to produce such white tips on black feathers, I believe it could be recessive mottling (Mo+/mo) that some times shows at the tip of the feathers. For example the this recessive mottled bird.
d4c61744_araucanas27Oct201233.jpeg

Quote:
The pattern gene is not know to produce such white tips on black feathers, I believe it could be recessive mottling (Mo+/mo) that some times shows at the tip of the feathers. For example the this recessive mottled bird.
d4c61744_araucanas27Oct201233.jpeg

Thanks for the input - mottling did cross my mind,.it actually looks like mottling, as apposed to lacing.... I really wanted to use him, the more I try to figure him out, the more I think I should more predictable roo....

Thanks for the input - mottling did cross my mind,.it actually looks like mottling, as apposed to lacing.... I really wanted to use him, the more I try to figure him out, the more I think I should more predictable roo....
The white in the tail is due to the restrictor he is carrying.

Hi there, sorry to interrupt/hijack the thread, but I wonder if while you are discussing white tip feathers whether you would be able to answer a question for me?

I did start a thread of my own but got no responses [too hard basket maybe
wink.png
]

This is a picture of Dusty [Bantam Langshan] in August 2014, the white bits are obvious [she moulted in April that year]:

Since that picture she has been all black at times and white tips at others. I noticed the other day that she has white creeping back in again.

I have not managed to pin point a time-frame, for example pre moult or post moult, but I have noticed that in her three and a half years, sometimes she is all black and others, black with white tips.

I have a Bantam Cochin [aka Pekin here in Aus] and she is black and always been black, no intermittent white on her, so I am not leaning towards environmental.

I was asking out of curiosity only. As this has been going on for years and besides a couple of crop issues being related to 'Eyes bigger than belly' syndrome
wink.png
, I am not concerned about her health as Dusty seems to be pretty healthy. No mites, lice or worms either.

Oh wow, hello! - Ok, so going back to our previous conversation... cool, I didn't know a restrictor could do that..... so the gene restricted the black to his tail, except for the little bit of white on the end....

I remember on the other thread you mentioned it might be Colombian, or something else (I can't remember the other) - is Colombian a dominant gene? Would it be difficult to breed it out?

Last edited:
Hi there, sorry to interrupt/hijack the thread, but I wonder if while you are discussing white tip feathers whether you would be able to answer a question for me?

I did start a thread of my own but got no responses [too hard basket maybe
wink.png
]

This is a picture of Dusty [Bantam Langshan] in August 2014, the white bits are obvious [she moulted in April that year]:

Since that picture she has been all black at times and white tips at others. I noticed the other day that she has white creeping back in again.

I have not managed to pin point a time-frame, for example pre moult or post moult, but I have noticed that in her three and a half years, sometimes she is all black and others, black with white tips.

I have a Bantam Cochin [aka Pekin here in Aus] and she is black and always been black, no intermittent white on her, so I am not leaning towards environmental.

I was asking out of curiosity only. As this has been going on for years and besides a couple of crop issues being related to 'Eyes bigger than belly' syndrome
wink.png
, I am not concerned about her health as Dusty seems to be pretty healthy. No mites, lice or worms either.

Hi Teila, I just typed up a response for you and lost it before it posted
hmm.png
.... I think Nicalandia's post up above may be your answer - there's also a pic of a bird that seems to fit your little Dusty....Nic suggests a recessive mottling gene. Do you know if Dusty has mottled parents or any siblings with mottling?

Dusty is a pretty girl!

So far no research of known restrictors(Co,Db,Mh,Di) have shown that they produce white tips on the tail feathers, at least the extensive research I have done and my copy of Poultry breeding and genetics by R.D Crawford fail to mention that, also columbian restricted birds like R.I.R, NH don´t show these white tips, neither Db restricted breeds show these spots.

Last edited:
So far no research of known restrictors(Co,Db,Mh,Di) have shown that they produce white tips on the tail feathers, at least the extensive research I have done and my copy of Poultry breeding and genetics by R.D Crawford fail to mention that, also columbian restricted birds like R.I.R, NH don´t show these white tips, neither Db restricted breeds show these spots.

Columbian restricted male note the white in the tail feathers. Not unusual for columbian restricted birds to have white in coverts and rectrices.

This male has quite a bit of white in his, Not unusual to have white in coverts and rectrices of the tail. The amount and pattern of white in the tail can vary from bird to bird.

Back
Top Bottom