Half smooth half silkied?

kherokee

Chirping
5 Years
Nov 4, 2014
Connecticut
So my top mother hen decided to leave 3 chicks behind and stick with one runt that hatched. In an egg-topsy, the eggs she refused to sit on any longer were deformed and dead in the egg. But this one little runt is confusing me.

(s)he's almost 8 weeks old and is growing very slowly. (s)he eats and drinks enough to get by but spends the most of its time trying to huddle under mom because of its tiny body. I almost wonder if she has some kind of defect. It has smooth wings with a silkied body and even extra toes. Anyone know what could cause both feathering or why her growth and behavior is so abnormal?

Thanks for any input!

She doesn't look silkied to me, just appears to be losing her baby down feathers. As for her behavior she may be cold, or since she has no siblings wants to keep closer to her mom.

She doesn't look silkied to me, just appears to be losing her baby down feathers. As for her behavior she may be cold, or since she has no siblings wants to keep closer to her mom. 

Thats all mah be true, but ive seen my hen raise one chick at a time and never have I seen them grow so slowly. In person you can really see the difference between feathers, my pictures can't do it justice, sadly!

I had one polish chick that did this same thing, she never grew. AT ALL she lived about 6 weeks and was getting her feathers in like all the others but remained the same size as when she hatched.

Update: Crook is a little boy now and the reason he was so stunted was because his beak is not only crooked, but his head is a bit mishappen. One eye sinks in farther and he tilts his head awlwardly. He's still too scared to leave momma so I leave them together indoors for now.

The white hen is one of my best mothers but during the end of the chicks hatching time, she gave up. Only one ended up hatching (Crook) and it makes me wonder why such a dedicated mom would leave her eggs so late and after one baby. After 3 years of hatching multiple babies, shes never done it before. It makes me wonder if the entire clutch was deformed like Crook and she knew it or what.

Back
Top Bottom