My chicken is spilling water on purpose

smileygreen64

Chirping
Oct 4, 2016
Southeast Alabama
One of my coops water has been empty everyday the past week or so. I have three leghorns in that pen and I couldn't figure out how they were drinking so much more than the other pens, so I watched them for a while today.

My rooster is spilling the water on purpose. I have hanging waterers and he will take a drink or two like a normal chicken and then jump on the rim and spill it out and drink off the ground.

Has anyone else ever had this happen? I guess its not a real problem. I am out there everyday, so I just fill it back up. It is a little annoying though. Any ideas on how to stop this? I sat it up on a block while I was out there and he just knocked it off.

Thanks for any advice or comments.

They figure it out. Chickens will peck at just about anything new, and as soon as one does he/she will realize that doing this = water. The others will soon follow suit, especially if they see another chicken drinking from it.

One of my coops water has been empty everyday the past week or so. I have three leghorns in that pen and I couldn't figure out how they were drinking so much more than the other pens, so I watched them for a while today.

My rooster is spilling the water on purpose. I have hanging waterers and he will take a drink or two like a normal chicken and then jump on the rim and spill it out and drink off the ground.

Has anyone else ever had this happen? I guess its not a real problem. I am out there everyday, so I just fill it back up. It is a little annoying though. Any ideas on how to stop this? I sat it up on a block while I was out there and he just knocked it off.

Thanks for any advice or comments.
How big is the waterer? Why not just give them a bucket, about chest height? It might be easier for you to top off the bucket as needed than to keep re-filling the waterer you have now. Of course, nipple waterers are an other option.

How big is the waterer?  Why not just give them a bucket, about chest height?  It might be easier for you to top off the bucket as needed than to keep re-filling the waterer you have now.  Of course, nipple waterers are an other option.

I had a one gallon hanging waterer. Now I have a top fill 3 gallon waterer I built a base for so they aren't scratching leaves into it. It seems to be working good until I get the nipple system figured out. Thanks for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom