My mom gave me a headache for Christmas

Kelfeathers

Chirping
Aug 19, 2015
Marengo, Ohio
Back in November my mom emailed me out of the blue asking if she had mailed me the deed to some land I owned. I replied that I was unaware I owned any land. To answer her question also stated I had not received anything from her other than my birthday card in February. She told me she had transferred some land she owned (in a state I don't live in) into my name back in July and intended for it to be my Christmas present. She then located and mailed all of the documents to me.

When she told me about it initially she suggested it could be sold for at least $10,000. After receiving the paperwork she told me that she hasn't actually be able to sell in it in 10+ years she's owned it and it's actually worth a lot less. A few weeks ago I got a evaluation form in the mail that, if I'm reading it right, puts the value of the land at under $1,000.

That was annoying enough. When I looked it up I found out the land is right next to the race track, well away from any stores, gas stations or restaurants and the race track is the only thing in the area with water and electric. When I contacted a realtor friend of hers she immediately started the process to see how much it would cost a buyer to run water and electric to it. I never even had to tell her what property I had been given which I found a bit odd.

Today was icing on the cake. I got a notice in the mail of a public hearing involving my property. My lovely pile of dirt is within 300 feet of where they want to put in an asphalt plant. If that goes through I'll have a race track and an asphalt plant right in the backyard.

All of this and I still haven't figured out how she transferred property into my name without my permission or signature.

Im new here and was checking out the areas and saw your post. My wife's brother did the same thing to their mom. It created a big mess but he forged her name.

Last edited:
I don't know how to kick it back, but I'm going to see if there is any contact info on the paperwork. I put the paperwork in a place I wouldn't lose it so, naturally, I lost it. It's probably mixed in with my comics somewhere. The question is, which box?

Sell it to the asphalt plant.

or, return it right to your mother. Your relationship doesn't sound like the best anyway, and I wouldn't see the point in taking on that land. If nothing else, you'll have to pay taxes on it.

Agreed. It sounds like it's of no value to you. It's a liability. A tax drain. Unless you can sell it to one of the 2 bordering properties. But honestly, why would either one of them be interested? And, your mother couldn't have deeded it to you without your signature. So, it's not a binding contract.

I contacted the deed office. The woman who handled the paperwork said the seller is the only one that needs to sign the paperwork. Lovely. I did, however, find out that my mom is actually still paying the taxes on the property.

I contacted the realtor that's helping me out and she looked into the asphalt plant. It's slated to go in clear across town. The reason my plot was included is the land in question used to be owned by a mining operation and hasn't been divided up. That will hopefully stay as planned.

Maybe I'll be able to flip it for cheap and make a little money off of it. Seriously, if I could sell it for $500 I'd be okay with that. I didn't pay anything for it and I'm not paying taxes so it's a win no matter what. It's still a major headache though. The property is in Nevada and I live in Ohio. My younger brother, on the other hand, still lives in the town the property is in.

I contacted the deed office. The woman who handled the paperwork said the seller is the only one that needs to sign the paperwork. Lovely. I did, however, find out that my mom is actually still paying the taxes on the property.

I contacted the realtor that's helping me out and she looked into the asphalt plant. It's slated to go in clear across town. The reason my plot was included is the land in question used to be owned by a mining operation and hasn't been divided up. That will hopefully stay as planned.

Maybe I'll be able to flip it for cheap and make a little money off of it. Seriously, if I could sell it for $500 I'd be okay with that. I didn't pay anything for it and I'm not paying taxes so it's a win no matter what. It's still a major headache though. The property is in Nevada and I live in Ohio. My younger brother, on the other hand, still lives in the town the property is in.

Why didn't mom just give it to him or sell it to him and mail you the check????

I assume she gave him the better plot of land in the middle of town with utilities already provided. I picked out the good plot when I was in high school and convinced her it was a better investment property than this stupid one out in the desert wasteland.

I'm so angry right now. Her realtor friend finally got back to me on how much it would cost to run utilities. It will be a grand total of nearly $5,000 for a plot of land worth less than $2,000. She actually told me there wasn't any point in posting it for sale because there are already numerous properties in the town for sale in the exact same situation. She suggested I just wait until someone develops the area and try then. We're talking about the outskirts of a desert town with 0 amenities. It's also zoned residential so it's not like a commercial or agricultural company could come in and build up the area. I told her I didn't even want to know how many years and/or decades that would be. So I'm flat out going to figure out how to reverse this situation back on my mom. If I could sell it I would try, but I'm not keeping this junk piece of land and waiting until it's my turn to pay taxes on it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom