Keeping foot feathers in good shape.

quails-101

Chirping
Apr 16, 2016
I have booted bantums and I show them but the tips of the foot feathers are breaking off. How can I keep them nice. Can I get them to grow back.

I've raised a few Cochin bantams, which have feathered feet, in the past. The best way I found to keep foot feathers from breaking is to make sure that the birds aren't overcrowded and to keep them on plenty of very clean litter. When the feathers get dirty (from mud, droppings, etc.), they can become more brittle, stuck together, and prone to tearing.

Although I've never done it, I've also heard from a very experienced and successful Cochin breeder that raising them (and other feather-footed birds) on wire helps keep their feathers in great condition.

The broken feathers won't grow back until they are molted naturally or plucked out by you, which would stimulate them to grow back.

All my bantums have their own barn and my red cochins have really nice foot feathers and so do the Japanese. They have plenty of fresh straw to walk on. I change the straw every week if I am able to.

Is there any way to clean the foot feathers once they get dirty?
Yes. Give the bird (or at least its legs) a long soak in warm water with some mild shampoo added (such as baby shampoo or dog shampoo). Work the dirt off the feathers with your fingers. Then, put the bird in a clean place until the feathers are completely dry.

Back
Top Bottom