Baby chick developing but not moving.

sara1226

Songster
Apr 15, 2015
Northern Wisconsin
Hi everyone I am currently doing my first hatch. I have 3 eggs under a broody hen and 20 in an incubator. I am on day 9, and I have candled the eggs twice to make sure they are developing, and then today I marked which ones appear to not be developing so I can give them one last chance, and remove them in two days of still no signs of life.

My question is that one egg in particular (a silkie) is developing nicely, but both times I looked at it I saw NO movement at all... is it still alive? I can see a little eye and a tiny body, but it's just sitting there. All the other ones are bouncing around in the shell. It's so neat to see!

How can you tell when it has passed away??

I appreciate any advice so I can learn about how hatching works. Thank you!!!

-Sara

Hello!

I may be in the minority, but I generally set my eggs and do nothing until day 18. On that day I stop turning and candle as I take them out of the incubator. At 9 days it is a little early (in my opinion) to label an egg "dead" unless it is completely clear. There is so much happening so fast! Personally I leave every egg possible in the incubator unless it is not fertile or starting to show signs of being rotten. I have had many eggs others would have given up on hatch into perfectly healthy chicks!

So, all this to say, leave it in. It may just be resting every time you candle
smile.png
If by day 12-15 there has been no more development THEN I would say it is dead.

Thank you! The reason I am keeping an eye on them is because I had read that leaving bad eggs in the incubator is running a risk that they could explode and contaminate the rest with bacteria. Not sure if that's true or not, but that would be my luck. Half the eggs were shipped to me and had a long journey, so I could have a lot of ones that don't develop. Some I can tell are not developing at all.. no veins.. no nothing.. they must either be infertile or damaged during the shipment. Some I am unsure of so I will leave them. This one in question is just baffling to me.. all the other good eggs have tiny little chicks that are bouncing around in the eggs and seem to be doing well, but this one just sits there. I hope it didn't die, but I guess if it looks the same on day 18 or even day 15 as it does now and it doesn't grow then I have my answer. Thanks for the pictures!

Thank you! The reason I am keeping an eye on them is because I had read that leaving bad eggs in the incubator is running a risk that they could explode and contaminate the rest with bacteria. Not sure if that's true or not, but that would be my luck. Half the eggs were shipped to me and had a long journey, so I could have a lot of ones that don't develop. Some I can tell are not developing at all.. no veins.. no nothing.. they must either be infertile or damaged during the shipment. Some I am unsure of so I will leave them. This one in question is just baffling to me.. all the other good eggs have tiny little chicks that are bouncing around in the eggs and seem to be doing well, but this one just sits there. I hope it didn't die, but I guess if it looks the same on day 18 or even day 15 as it does now and it doesn't grow then I have my answer. Thanks for the pictures!

Yep, eggs can explode if you don't check on them and remove them. I once had one explode under a broody. Now that was a mess :sick

The embryo you're describing is probably fine as long as it still has veins. You can tell when they die because all the veins disintegrate. It's possible that it's been sleeping when you candle it which would explain it not moving.

You're welcome!

In regard to eggs exploding, you will notice an odor and a golden discharge from the eggs before they explode. I have smelled them LONG before they were at the point of exploding. Good luck with your hatch!

Back
Top Bottom