Egg hatching help

saddlebredgirl

In the Brooder
May 10, 2016
I have a silkie hen who was very broody. One of my other silkie hens layed some eggs and the broody hen took them and layed on them. The eggs where layed a few days apart. She had 5eggs. One hatched 4days ago healthy chick doing well. Then yesterday another one hatched it was weak and since yesterday she stopped sitting on the eggs too. This morning the chick born yesterday was dead and she isnt sitting on the eggs anymore. Walking outside with her chick all day. Its been 2days since she has sat on them. We took the eggs out today and one started to crack and hatch. We put it under a light should we just leave it? I can hear a chick chirping inside the egg and the shell moves as its peacking at it. All the other eggs are due in a few days too what should i do as mom doesnt want to sit on them anymore?

Quick update. The egg that was starting to hatch is now fully hatched. The chick is out and resting. What should we do with the chick?

Get it to drink and eat. Tonight, after dark, put it under the mother. Check back every 20 minutes or so to make sure it stays under the hen.

When you have a broody hen and other hens have access to the nest, one needs to mark the original eggs so volunteers can be removed. Otherwise the hatch is staggered and later embryos die when the hen comes off the nest to care for the live chicks. That's her job, to provide food and water for known live chicks rather than the unknown.
It's the old expression, 'a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush'

Back
Top Bottom