Should i raise the coop off the ground?

Christoffking

In the Brooder
Jan 12, 2017
Southern Arizona
So I have this toddler playhouse made out of wood I found on Facebook, the guy needed it gone and I saw a opportunity. Since it's all wood I can build on it to make it more predator safe. My question is should I build a platform for it. It has a open bottom and I was planning on placing it on some blocks about 6-8 inches off the ground, is that good or should I go for the couple feet. I live in southern Arizona if that matter.

I think if it means you don't have to bend down as as far to reach into the coop, that would make it worth int right there! Plus, if it's elevated and your birds can get under it that could be some valuable shade from the Arizona sun!

Hi there Christoffking

I agree; if you have the opportunity to have the coop raised, do it. Both the ‘easy to clean’ and ‘additional shade’ are good points.

I am not familiar with the Arizona climate but just wanted to also add, that if it is anything like ours and you do not really have a winter, you might want to consider a removable, slatted timber floor.

I have one in our raised coop and not only does it provide good air circulation, it is so easy to slide out and clean.

Our coop is about 4ft raised and having the slide out floor means that it is easy to duck under and into the coop if need be.

[As mentioned .. not suitable for all climates]

Having had small coops raised for grown birds and on the ground for a brooy with chicks I would raise it 2 to 2.5 feet. If you have to get under there to do anything from collecting eggs a sneaky hen hid there to gathering up one that failed to go in at night it is nice to have enough room to do so.

The shade in Arizona will get used happily by them.

Back
Top Bottom