Mites

midman

In the Brooder
Jul 20, 2016
I have a black Australorp rooster with my 6 Rhode I Island Red hens. I noticed he is missing feathers on both side of his back, the saddle area. I checked it out and noticed some tiny mites moving around on the bald area, and there is a healing denuded area , no active bleeding. What would people suggest to treat for these ?

Garden Spray poultry dust is good.Just dont use DE.Really anything with a active ingredient of Pyrethrins will be good.

Last edited:
It's probably simple poultry lice, not mites. Permethrin poultry dusting powder is cheapest, but you need to treat again a few times in order to get the ones that have hatched from eggs laid at the base of the feathers.

That's a good way to identify whether or not the chicken has lice or mites. Look at the feather shafts around the vent area. If it's lice, the feather shafts will be coated with lice eggs.

I like a product called Elector PSP. It's a highly concentrated liquid, a biological not chemical treatment, and it's usually effective after just a single application. If you have mites, you will also need to treat the premises.

I have a black Australorp rooster with my 6 Rhode I Island Red hens. I noticed he is missing feathers on both side of his back, the saddle area. I checked it out and noticed some tiny mites moving around on the bald area, and there is a healing denuded area , no active bleeding. What would people suggest to treat for these ?
@midman , welcome to BYC!
Least expensive way to treat is with permethrin garden dust or 10% permethrin spray.

-Kathy

Permethrin or Sevin dust used for gardens are good choices. Dust the bird thoroughly and repeat the dusting in 7-10 days to kill mites/lice hatched from eggs.

You should probably dust the whole flock, even though you only saw mites on the rooster. Mites can travel easily from bird to bird and even in small numbers can affect a bird's health.

If I use the permethrin dust or spray on the hens do I need to discard their eggs for a period of time.

Back
Top Bottom