Is this normal for older hens?

Minnie Mooseth

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 25, 2014
I have an older chicken, she could be 9-10 years old. In the past couple weeks she stopped getting in the hen house at night. I watched her try to jump in about a week ago but she didn't even get close. Now every night I go out and put her in the henhouse. Today I noticed that her wings are hanging low to the ground. It seems like she feels okay, and she still wants to eat. Does anybody have any idea what could be going on? Sorry, I posted this earlier but got no response. Not sure how to bump the thread so I am reposting with a pic. TIA.

Sounds like maybe with old age she is having a hard time getting in. I would make sure she has a ramp to make it easy for her to get in. I beleive thats quite old for a chicken , so its probably all signs of her aging .

At her age i would make her own pen with food and water.The chance of her getting bullied from food sources is high and that might be enough to end her.

Seperating her could be very stressful. Chickens do not do well alone. As long as she is eating fine and sounds like she is i would leave her with her flock

Seperating her could be very stressful. Chickens do not do well alone. As long as she is eating fine and sounds like she is i would leave her with her flock

Well going off by the pic it looks like she is already stressed.In the wild they will kill and bully chickens that cant keep up.Also nothing in the pic speaks normal to me.She is at a higher chance of getting infected by some type of disease due to a weakening immune system.You can still make a little pen for her inside the coop.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice. I think the picture may be misleading because she does not act distressed at all. I won't be separating her from her one and only companion. I believe she may have Marek's disease, as I had to have a hen euthanized for the same thing about 6 months ago. Her health has declined significantly since I posted yesterday. Unfortunately, there is a good chance my other hen also has Marek's, but hopefully she won't show symptoms any time soon.

Back
Top Bottom