Dulling rooster spurs..?

shelbyw

Songster
6 Years
Jul 1, 2015
North Carolina
My Coop
My Coop
Hello! As some of you may know I recently got a new rooster and he is a silkie. I am wondering if the spurs need to be dulled again or if I can wait a little longer. I do not think they are not that long yet. Any suggestions?
big_smile.png
I just do not want to take a risk with him hurting himself or the hens. I know that about 1/4 has to be trimmed off and that they are dulled out. Pictures of him and his spurs below:)

Isn't he pretty :)

Last edited:
Do the spurs feel sharp to you? They look okay to me, but if they feel too pointy, or if you just want to be safe, I would trim them a little.

Ya they don't look to bad to me but if they feel sharp you can file them down if you cut them you can hit the quick very easy, your best bet is to file them

They may be dull, but they are too long. It can still hurt a hen when he is breeding her. You can saw them off, or file them down.

I have been looking at them recently and I am planning on either filing them this weekend or next weekend. Do I file them until I don't see white or do I leave a little white on them?

Back
Top Bottom