Wire flooring?

Rodeislandred23

In the Brooder
Aug 31, 2016
Lower al
Hey guys so my dad build me a chicken coop when I first got my chickens and he put wire on the bottom for when they are outside, because we have bad foxes,snakes coyotes,etc. so I was asking is this bad for the chickens to walk and be on wire flooring? They seem to like it ok is doesn't seem to bother them at all. So what do y'all think? Thank you all for the answers! Bye now!:D

I really dont like wire flooring.Just because it seems so uncomfortable and i sure wound t want my toes to get tangled on the wire every time i walk.Are you putting hay or straw on top of it?

I don't have a picture I will try to get one but the way it is setup is he screwed it in to the bottom of the boards so that predators can't get in. So it's two long prices of wire that run by each other than he has them tied together so their feet won't get caught on it and hurt them. I'm sorry I'm not very much help at this one. I try to help so I will get a picture sometime soon a share it with y'all.

My coop has had wire mesh similar to this but with slightly taller rectangles for years. I've found that as long as the coop is properly sealed at night predators haven't been a problem.
BUT.....
0.jpg

"If I could turn back time" I would definitely have used some kind of vinyl/plastic-like fabric to floor it instead. Vinyl is waterproof. Easy to sweep out straw, easy to wash out poops (or scrape it up for your garden if you want).
Wire flooring works, but I would've totally gone the vinyl way if I had known. Would've covered the inside of the coop with the stuff.

SO, to conclude, yes, wire mesh works, but if you go that route, sweep the poop out often or it will cake and become bothersome. Make sure you have roosting areas/perches if you're worried about them standing on the mesh too long. They should have perches anyway if they don't already.

Hope that helps.

Hi, I'm new to this forum and have a question. I'm converting an old shed to a chicken coop. I cleaned out all the rat carcasses and will make sure all the rat poop is gone. I'm also adding an enclosed run but saw some holes in the ground where my run is going to be. Should I consider laying wire mesh along the ground to ensure predators are kept out?

Hi, I'm new to this forum and have a question. I'm converting an old shed to a chicken coop. I cleaned out all the rat carcasses and will make sure all the rat poop is gone. I'm also adding an enclosed run but saw some holes in the ground where my run is going to be. Should I consider laying wire mesh along the ground to ensure predators are kept out?
I'd put some rat poison out first....then, yes, mesh appropriately if your area is prone to rats.

Back
Top Bottom