How often do they need to breed?

Furryposm

Chirping
May 12, 2016
Portland oregon
So I live in the city, and were not allowed to have roosters. However several of us in my neighborhood do, we just keep them indoors so no one has to hear them.

It's supposed to be really nice next week, so I'm thinking of introducing my rooster to some hens for a few days.

I figured if I put him in a run with say 4 of the hens and left them there for most of the day they would breed. Hoping he wouldn't crow cuz his mind would be on something else?

If not, I thought about putting a single hen in his cage with him at a time?

Either way it works, how often do they need to breed to stay fertile?

I know I'm crazy. Forgot to mention he's a Ayam cemani, I can't free range him or he might fly away. And at this point I don't have any ac hens to use. So figured I'd breed him to my Spanish blue andalusans and my brabanter to make sure his good at his job. This way if he isn't I would want to keep a cockerel out of this batch of chicks I have that are 1 month old right now.

Still trying to figure this whole breeding thing out.

Tips or hints welcome!

Thanks

Hi and welcome to BYC. I have a small business selling chick and chickens let me tell you a rooster can breed a hen in the blink of an eye but some roosters will let you blink 1,000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 k you get the point, l think either way would work but if your niebors are supper up tight about roosters crowing l would do it in side cause the rooster is going to want to celebrate

So they celebrate like the hens do when they lay? Fun! Yeah, I'm not sure how neighbors would react? I swear my duck is super loud and no one has said anything?

I like the crowing much more than the quaking (? Spelling looks weird) of the duck! But I guess that's just me?

Anyway I'll do inside I guess. So how long before eggs are fertile and how long will one breeding last? I've heard 30 days, but that sounds a bit extreme?

To be on the safe side, eggs should be fertile 2 - 3 days after a breeding, and fertility should remain for at least 2 weeks. You can always check for fertility when you crack them into a frying pan. What is your intent for those fertile eggs? Do you have an exit plan for any resulting roos????

It takes about 25 hours for an egg to go through the hen’s internal egg making factory from when the yolk is released. That egg can only be fertilized during the first few minutes of that journey. That means if a successful mating takes place on a Friday, Friday’s egg is not fertile. Saturday’s egg might be but don’t count on it. Sunday’s egg will be fertile.

A rooster does not necessarily mate with each hen in his flock every day. Some of that depends on the size of the flock, the rooster’s health and personality, and the hen’s personalities. Also a hen that is laying usually has a bright red comb and wattles, hens not laying often have pink or yellow combs and wattles. The bright red is more of a turn-on for the rooster though sometimes he does mate with the others. I’m going through this to show that there is no easy answer to how often a rooster will mate with a hen.

But he doesn’t have to mate with then very often. The last part of the mating ritual is after the rooster hops off the hen stands up, fluffs her feathers, and shakes. This fluffy shake gets the sperm into a certain container inside the hen where the sperm is stored. It can stay viable for quite a while. Most of us count on the hen laying fertile eggs for about two weeks after a mating. At a certain point the sperm is no longer viable, it just gets too old, but there have been cases eggs were still fertile after three weeks. Don’t count on that.

A rooster will breed wherever it likes, whenever it likes. Just like it will crow for whatever reason, or no reason at all. They're kind of like politicians that way. So unless you know your neighbors will be OK with a day's worth of "chicken love song", I would let them do it indoors.

Keep in mind the 'integration' factor, wherever you choose to do the deed.
Make sure you give them some room to move around in the breeding pen.
Either or may not be keen on sharing their space, and hen might not allow mating, right off the bat.

BTW..word nerd here.
Quacking.....the sound a duck makes
Quaking...is to shake or tremble...or shake or shudder with fear(which your hen may do when that boy comes around-haha!)

Back
Top Bottom