Cure for leg paralysis?

chicknmania

Free Ranging
17 Years
Jan 26, 2007
central Ohio
Just curious if anyone has found something that works for restoring leg use. Our hen lost the use of hers. I am not sure what her original problem was...very possibly Capillary worms were a contributor, but I don't think they are the cause of the whole issue. We have been tube feeding her but she can neither eat on her own, or walk. She can move her wings (I have not seen her flap them, but she can move them) and everything else...and she struggles to get up, but it's not working. We are including high potency B & K vitamins as well as electrolytes and probios when we are feeding her, in the hopes that it is an electrolyte imbalance or vitamin deficiency problem. She seems to be getting brighter. In the hospital cage she is in, it is not big enough to put her in a sling, and although we do have a bigger cage, I am reluctant to use a sling, I've used them, once or twice,in past years, but to me they seemed to just add to the bird's stress. She has been this way for eight days. I have researched, and found nothing that indicated anyone was successful from bringing a bird back that had leg paralysis, but just trying to make sure.

Thanks

I'm currently trying all sorts of measures for two hens with leg issues. Really, nothing has really worked except maybe aspirin. It reduces the inflammation and relieves pain. While not curing the problem, it does increase mobility.

I started off with just half a 81mg dose, and now I'm giving a whole 81mg tab twice a day with much better results.

I didn't really think about inflammation, hmm..I know baby aspirin works well for lameness issues. I think in this case it's more of a neuro problem but I might try aspirin just to see. azygous, have you tried vitamins or elecrolytes?

These two of mine have been on B2 and B12 therapy for a few weeks with no noticeable improvement. I even tried an antibiotic on one that I suspected was lame from an injury or maybe infectious arthritis. Again, no improvement. But the increased dosage in aspirin has been the thing to bring immediate improvement.

There are so many different causes of lameness, it's a trial and error approach at best. Aspirin is simple and easy. I was just too conservative in the dosage.

Try the aspirin as @azygous has suggested. If you see improvement that it's most likely some type of injury.

If it's full paralysis or you think it's neuro related, then you probably won't see any difference. At this point either way, I don't think aspirin will hurt.

Do you think it could be Marek's or something similar?

I suppose it's always possible. She's been acting weird off and on for months though, starting in October, and then for the whole month of December she was perfectly fine, or so I thought, then I found her collapsed out there this month. We are always battling Capillary worms so that is what I treated her for, but I don't think that is what it is either. If it's Marek's it's progressing very slowly. She's a Golden Comet and I always get the impression they were not bred for longivity especially, although we have another one out there who is six years old. Twinkie is only 3. From research,I've concluded that there's a jillion reasons why they can get leg pararlysis..it seems to be very common.

Back
Top Bottom