Hens or Roosters?

chickenlady02

In the Brooder
Jan 16, 2017
Hey guys, just trying to find out whether I have hens or roosters? I have 3 chicks but it will only let me upload 2 photos I will post the other in the comments. They r about 5 1/2 to 6 weeks old
Thanks
1f60a.png

Here's a photo of the third chook. I tried to get good photos but usually the white stands up quite straight where as the buff and black stand a little slouched

Last edited:
Silkies are harder to sex at a young age (6wks), I'm horrible at Silkie guessing but I'm GUESSING Cockerels. However there are those more experienced that may be able to take a better guess at this young age. Good luck, they are CUTE!

Silkies are one of the most difficult breeds to sex before 4-5 mos. of age and sometimes not till they crow or lay eggs. Are these hatchery stock or from a silkie breeder? I ask because the middle one has a very odd comb - looks like it wanted to be a walnut(proper) comb and then grew a tail on the end. The third bird has a big walnut comb for such a young age.

The black chick may possibly be a pullet - but, at this age it is a wild guess. The coloring is confusing as well. The black chick looks to be changing to possibly blue but, I've never seen it start on the head.. Head is usually the last place it changes - with blue coming in on lower body first.

If you could repost new photos when they are 4 mos. of age - you will likely get much more accurate assessments. They are cute as the dickens.

Silkies are one of the most difficult breeds to sex before 4-5 mos. of age and sometimes not till they crow or lay eggs.   Are these hatchery stock or from a silkie breeder?  I ask because the  middle one has a very odd comb  - looks like it wanted to be a walnut(proper) comb and then grew a tail on the end.  The third bird has a big walnut comb for such a young age.

The black chick may possibly be a pullet - but, at this age it is a wild guess.  The coloring is confusing as well.   The black chick looks to be changing to  possibly blue but, I've  never seen it start on the head..  Head is usually the last place it changes - with blue coming in  on lower body first.

If you could repost new photos when they are 4 mos. of age - you will likely get  much more accurate  assessments.  They are cute as the dickens.

Thank u for ur reply, I did in fact get them from a silkie breeder. We have since tried to contact the lady but have had no replies. We noticed the odd looking comb and thought it may have a few breeds mixed in, but as we got them from a breeder we were a little confused

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom