Noob to Incubation

Glaseria

In the Brooder
Jan 24, 2017
Tooele, UTAH, USA
Hello BYCers!

My name is Glaseria and I am looking into getting our first incubator. There's so many on the market I'm finding it difficult to choose one. Ideally, I would like to have one that is an auto turner( provided those are healthy for the chicks), that is kind of hands off and can handle Duck eggs and Quail eggs! Suggestions, examples and experience is welcome! Thank you!

Sincerely,
Your Fellow Homesteader,
Glaseria
1f495.png
1f43e.png

1f54a.png

Last edited:
Hello and WELCOME TO BYC!!!!

welcome-byc.gif

i built one, works great can hold a turner, made from a cooler

brinsea are great but very pricey
any incubator *should* be able to accommodate a turner of sorts, and many incubators have some fault or another
also depends on how many eggs and your price point

Welcome to byc.

I have a brinsea 20 advance. Pretty much a set and forget it. Holds temp well and I get excellent hatch rates.

I have 1588 genesis hold 40 eggs with a turner. For a styro they hold temp well and get high rates rates with these as well.

I had an LG still air (9300) and an LG forced air (10300). These can be very tempremental. Don't really recommend these just off experience with them.

I just upgraded to a 1502 sportsman cabinet. Only hatched one batch in it but so far I love it.

Find the type that best suits your needs and budget. When incubating goes well it can be very addicting and makes chicken math go out of control.

For tabletop style brinsea and 1588 genesis are top notch.

Good luck with any type you choose

How do styrofoam incubators hold up? Are they garbage? Is plastic better? Or is it not the material the incubator is made of but rather the features it has in it?

Sincerely,
Your Fellow Homesteader,
Glaseria
1f495.png
1f43e.png

1f54a.png

Like with most things, you get what you pay for. I've got 2 of the 1588 Genesis, one of which is 4 years old. They are very reliable and hold steady temperature.
I've not used one of the chinese plastic models but from the post I see here, they are not very reliable or have a long life. Some folks may get good results from them.

If you buy the quail rails along with the turner, you'll be able to swap them out easily to do quail, chicks or ducks.

I would have to say the Hova Bators with circulating air and the egg turner are almost dummy proof :) my 1st hatch of 42, was a 39 hatch success
1f425.png
1f423.png
1f425.png
1f423.png

Can't complain easy to use & cleaning is simple too.

So are Hova Baters the most reliable? Are they plastic or styrofoam? Please post your make and model and success rate for your brooder please! That would be most helpful. Thank you!

Sincerely,
Your Fellow Homesteader,
Glaseria
1f495.png
1f43e.png

1f54a.png

So what's your options on dish washer safe plastic vs styrofoam incubators? Also what's a good bang for your buck that is pretty noob proof?

Sincerely,
Your Fellow Homesteader,
Glaseria
1f495.png
1f43e.png

1f54a.png

Back
Top Bottom