Thermometer Placement

I have the Genesis Hovabator 1588, also a forced air with some eggs hatching right now. 26 eggs made it to lockdown. A few minutes ago I had 19 chicks. I’m waiting to see what happens with those other seven eggs. Some have pipped.

No, it does not matter where in the incubator you put the thermometer in a forced air. In a properly designed incubator there should not be any dead spots. There is nothing wrong with moving it around to check just to satisfy yourself. Occasionally life doesn’t always follow theory. Checking in a homemade incubator is more important.

A still or thermal air with no fan is a different story. Where you take the temperature is very important.

Have you calibrated your thermometer so you know it is reading correctly? The last one I got, an adjustable, was off by about two degrees. That could have been bad if I had not checked it. I like this way to check it if it is a type you can do this.

Rebel’s Thermometer Calibration
http://cmfarm.us/ThermometerCalibration.html

I have the Genesis Hovabator 1588, also a forced air with some eggs hatching right now. 26 eggs made it to lockdown. A few minutes ago I had 19 chicks. I’m waiting to see what happens with those other seven eggs. Some have pipped.

No, it does not matter where in the incubator you put the thermometer in a forced air. In a properly designed incubator there should not be any dead spots. There is nothing wrong with moving it around to check just to satisfy yourself. Occasionally life doesn’t always follow theory. Checking in a homemade incubator is more important.

A still or thermal air with no fan is a different story. Where you take the temperature is very important.

Have you calibrated your thermometer so you know it is reading correctly? The last one I got, an adjustable, was off by about two degrees. That could have been bad if I had not checked it. I like this way to check it if it is a type you can do this.

@Ridgerunner can you provide a link to the adjustable thermometer you got...
.....and did you calibrate it against a digital medical thermometer as show in the calibration link you provided.

No link available though I probably got it online. It’s a pretty cheap one. I actually got that one to check the soil temperature in my seed starting mix, but it works to confirm incubator temperature too.

I’ve had that Hovabator Genesis 1588 for a lot of years. It took some adjustment to get it right, but once I did it holds temperatures very well. My model uses those dip switches for adjustment. They are a pain in the rear to adjust but once I got it, it has help steady for years between uses.

I used a medical thermometer for calibration. I can’t remember if I got it at Walmart or Walgreens. I just remember it was hard to find one I could use. Most of them seem to be ones you wipe or swipe, not sure how I’d use those to calibrate a thermometer.

No link available though I probably got it online. It’s a pretty cheap one. I actually got that one to check the soil temperature in my seed starting mix, but it works to confirm incubator temperature too.

I’ve had that Hovabator Genesis 1588 for a lot of years. It took some adjustment to get it right, but once I did it holds temperatures very well. My model uses those dip switches for adjustment. They are a pain in the rear to adjust but once I got it, it has help steady for years between uses.

I used a medical thermometer for calibration. I can’t remember if I got it at Walmart or Walgreens. I just remember it was hard to find one I could use. Most of them seem to be ones you wipe or swipe, not sure how I’d use those to calibrate a thermometer.
OK, well, thanks fer nothing.....just kidding. ;-)

I decided to use an old 'shake down' type oral human thermometer as my standard,
and used a glass of warm water to compare to other thermometers as shown here:

Close as I can get for now.

Back
Top Bottom