First time kidder!

smoneal

In the Brooder
May 25, 2015
Central Missouri
I'm getting ready to have my first set of kids!! I'm very excited but it's my first time. Thankfully Cinnamon has done this before!
1f917.png
I believe this is her second or maybe third time. She usually has twins and I'm pretty sure that's what we are dealing with this time by the looks of her. I've been
reading about the signs to watch for and just want some friendly advice so I handly it smoothly for the ole girl! She is due February 20th. I have her in a nice stall getting plenty of hay,feed and water daily. She's walking around with no problems. I swear I never see her laying down though! Her tail is constantly in the air but no signs of mucous. The udder has not dropped yet. I make sure to pet and talk to her whenever I'm in the barny but she will NOT let me touch her sides or stomach. Head and neck are free game! Any suggestions would be great! I know being her second time,at least, she will probably be ok. I just worry about my girl!
[/IMG]

Offer the doe a bucket of warm water with some molasses in it right after she kids. Does are usually very thirsty then and the molasses will provide some needed energy. I like to be present when the doe kids so I can be sure the membranes are off the kid's nose. There is nothing more disheartening than to go out in the barn and find a newborn kid suffocated in the sac.

Thanks! I'm trying to figure out when she's going to kid. I want to be there to ensure all gonerlls but I have no idea how to make sure that happens. I do think we are getting close. Her udder has not filled yet so I think I have a little time. I've heard about the "triangle" and wondered if that is what is going on in these pictures. It's definitely different than previous checks in her. More prominent looking.

Back
Top Bottom