Blue or Black Marans?

KHoward

Songster
12 Years
Apr 28, 2011
Boston
I recently hatched 20 chicks that are from a Black FCM Roo / Black FCM hen, or a Blue FCM Roo/Black FCM hen. Some are clearly Black, and some are light black/grey-ish, but not blue.

Here is one sample, and I am hoping this is a pullet:

same chick different angle:

And what I believe to be a black:

Lastly a group photo:

Any guesses?

I recently hatched 20 chicks that are from a Black FCM Roo / Black FCM hen, or a Blue FCM Roo/Black FCM hen. Some are clearly Black, and some are light black/grey-ish, but not blue.

Here is one sample, and I am hoping this is a pullet:

same chick different angle:

And what I believe to be a black:

Lastly a group photo:

Any guesses?

I have raised a lot of BCM but these are to young for me to even guess.

So, has anyone seen SPOTS on a FCBM before? The feathers on the legs are also spotted. I have two of these from my hatch. It's a lot of white on the face and throat - more than I am used to? Almost seems like it's going to end up looking like an Ancona ?!

...trying to find my happy place.....

Last edited:
Here is an update. My friend gave me a dozen FCBM from the Wade Jeane line and there were a few in there that looked like this too.

Very odd.

It's just very Extended Black, no worries... E is called Extended Black because the black will extend out to all those white areas... chick down, first feathers and juvenile feathering color can and does vary from what the adults will feather out like...

I have a line of black Ameraucanas with that same extreme Extended Black, they would look mottled a lot if times at hatch and have white feathers here and there even in their juvie feathers... but as soon as they molted into their adult feathers they went completely black...

Back
Top Bottom