Grandfather is starting out, some help please guys.

Joshua2017

In the Brooder
Feb 9, 2017
Hello BYC,

As you can see from the title my grandfather is looking at getting into raising chicks and chickens. I wasn't sure where to post, everything seems so specific, hopefully, I'm pretty close here! Anyway, my grandfather has not long retired working and he is loving life taking it day by day. But after being so busy for so many years, the lack of things for him to do is slowly taking its toll. On the plus-side, I have been going to visit him weekly and starting to learn a few things about him that I never knew before, like his fascination with chicks/chickens.

Just recently he has been talking to me about raising "free-range chickens" as pets, but he's not too sure on where to start and that's why I'm here. What kind of books on raising chickens can we find and/or videos for him to watch? He can find his way around a book a lot better than a computer. I know he knows quite a bit about chickens but starting from the beginning is always a good start. Also, does anyone know of anywhere you can go to learn about raising chickens? and get a hands on experience?

Looking forward to getting some answers in for my grandfather!! Cheers everyone!

Last edited:
Hi @Joshua2017 welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I have no idea where you live, what country etc. (Hint: put your location in your profile, it will help people to help you out better.) So I'll pretend like you live in New Mexico, like I do, and give you advice based on that.

Tractor Supply is about to start it's "Chick Days" and in a week or so they are going to have a bazillion books, magazines, brooders, incubators, coops, types of feed etc. etc. etc. at their stores. Go to Tractor Supply. They will have a rack with books and magazines. There are probably going to be at least 20 different ones. Pick some out. Or better yet, take your grandfather with you, and let HIM pick some out. If he likes chickens he will go nuts in there!

I really don't think you can go wrong; I have not yet bought a chicken book or magazine that I did not really enjoy, so go to Tractor Supply and let the fun begin!
big_smile.png

Sorry! We are in England so it's a little on the cold side. I will have a look at the tractor supply site and see what's going on and the amazon link then get back to you guys!! Thanks

I don't know the name for it but if you put "UK thread." in the search box above it should come up. There are many UK members and I know they would respond to your queries. It sounds like a great idea for your grandfather.

Right guys, I have placed an order in for the "Storeys guide to raising chickens" and it should be here withing the next couple of days. I have been reading through the other UK link you provided and there was plenty of information on there also. I ended up printing it all off to give to my grandfather to make life a little easier. Thanks a bunch guys! I'm pure I will be back soon with a few more questions!!

Thanks again

Just a quick little add-on, how much space is required for a single chicken to be officially free range in that aspect???

Just a quick little add-on, how much space is required for a single chicken to be officially free range in that aspect???
Not sure I completely understand the question, if they are free range, that means they are not in a coop or a run so they would have, in a way, all the space in the world. But maybe you are talking about some specific regulation where you could *legally* say they were free range?

In case it will help, these are space requirements: the rule of thumb is 4 square feet per bird in the coop and 10 square feet per bird in the run. Most chickens will feel comfortable with that amount of space.

The legal requirement for putting "free range" on the egg carton varies a great deal by location. You'd need to do a bit of research. I'd start with your local agricultural extension office.

Back
Top Bottom