Do I need a roosting pole?

I would say no, you don't technically need one. Having 11 birds, I'd say about half of mine sleep on the ground and the other half sleep on the roosts. (Unless of course I put them all on the roosts when I check them at night).

That being said chickens naturally will want to roost in a higher location. Goes back to in the wild type of thing where it's safer in the air than on the ground. A good example of this is wild turkeys.

Are you thinkinh or planning on getting more chickens? I'm sure your one now would enjoy a friend or two.

I just realised the new coop we bought has roosting posts in the design! silly me.

We are actually thinking of getting another chicken, since we just bought a larger coop that can house 3-4 chickens. But I read it'll stress them out if we introduce a new one?

I would recommend having three chickens. Chickens like other chickens. Once they are introduced correctly. If you have three and one dies unexpectedly you still have a pair and that works out well.

I'll have a little visit to the chicken farm. Do you know if its better to get a younger or older chicken?

It was at the point of lay when we got it. Not sure how old that is? But it wasn't laying yet until we got it home.

Back
Top Bottom