My babies have short legs. Genetic or deformities

Bantu

Chirping
Jul 21, 2016
USA
My Coop
My Coop
I hatched Out Three Chicks.
Cochin bantam rooster over a barred rock, Brahma, dark Cornish hens. All three are beautiful puff balls but their legs are short. Very short for a standard breed I think I am new to chicks though

I was concerned initially by their movement but now they're moving just like a regular chick.
I really like the look of the Brahma mix this is a deformity of course I don't want to breed more

I hatched Out Three Chicks.
Cochin bantam rooster over a barred rock, Brahma, dark Cornish hens. All three are beautiful puff balls but their legs are short. Very short for a standard breed I think I am new to chicks though

I was concerned initially by their movement but now they're moving just like a regular chick.
I really like the look of the Brahma mix this is a deformity of course I don't want to breed more
You saying the Bantam rooster fathered these chicks with the standard chickens?? If so then they are Not a "standard breed" they are crossed and bantams most of the time have shorter legs---So I would feel short legs could be possible, But maybe I am reading your post wrong??

You saying the Bantam rooster fathered these chicks with the standard chickens?? If so then they are Not a "standard breed" they are crossed and bantams most of the time have shorter legs---So I would feel short legs could be possible, But maybe I am reading your post wrong??

Yes you understand my concern. I was alarmed because I expected them to be smaller chicks midsized between standard and bantam but regular proportion body to leg lent length. when they walk all you can see is feet. At first they stumbled more than my "normal" hatchery chicks. They move around now pretty well and are eating and drinking. I assume whatever it is came from my rooster since I have chicks from the hens and another standard rooster.

Daddy is gold laced Cochin bantam.
Moms are= barred rock
Light Brahma
Dark Cornish.... All full /standard size... Each mama weighs between 7 1/2# and 9#.

Measured their legs. The longest is 5/8" the other two 1/2". My standards are 1" to 1 1/4" so maybe u your right. I'm worried about nothing.

This is Einstein. He has the shortest legs along with the Brahma mix BB

Back
Top Bottom