Using a shipping container for a chicken coop???

elly12

Chirping
6 Years
Hi everyone!
We've currently got 50 birds (chickens,ducks, and guinea fowl) roaming in their coup. They have a relatively large pen to roam with a tall apricot tree and plenty of shade. I've got a large shed for everyone, with perches, so the foxes don't get them. Any way, as we live on a sheep stud and get so many foxes, we can't have weak aviaries. My question is if we renovate a shipping container will it be alright to house them at night? I was wondering if there will be any health hazards or anything. Has anyone ever tried it? I'm getting a bit addicted to this chicken thing and I need an upgrade anyway:)
Thanks Everyone!

What an interesting idea! Just make sure there's enough ventilation and I bet it would work. Keep us updated!

Hi everyone!
We've currently got 50 birds (chickens,ducks, and guinea fowl) roaming in their coup. They have a relatively large pen to roam with a tall apricot tree and plenty of shade. I've got a large shed for everyone, with perches, so the foxes don't get them. Any way, as we live on a sheep stud and get so many foxes, we can't have weak aviaries. My question is if we renovate a shipping container will it be alright to house them at night? I was wondering if there will be any health hazards or anything. Has anyone ever tried it? I'm getting a bit addicted to this chicken thing and I need an upgrade anyway:)
Thanks Everyone!
Do you do this? I wonder how hot it gets even with windows cut into it.

I'm about to renovate a container. I know this thread is 2017 but, still relevant :)
In addition to venting I'm adding foam board to help with the heat and extreme cold. Normal Fiberglass insulation won't wonk with the containers with the moisture. I'm just building walls with 2x3, foam board and then plywood I already have or wood from pallets.

Back
Top Bottom