Scaring away owls

tbroui

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 30, 2013
Has anyone ever tried using a hawk decoy to scare away owls? We see hawks on occasion but they've never tried to get a chicken. I think the fence is too high and the chicken yard is too small for them to swoop down and grab one. However we've been having owls come in and grab a chick or duck at night. We've actually set traps and caught 3, releasing them far away. I just purchased a hawk decoy at TSC and am just wondering if I'm wasting my time

I don't believe those decoys actually work. They just make the person feel better, at least until the next one is killed.

Owls hunt at night. Are your chicks and ducks out in the open at night? Maybe a chicken coop or duck house would be a better use of your time and money as these work for an absolute fact. They pretty much will seek out such shelter at night, you close the door, end of owl problem. Or at least most likely... these guys are crazy smart.

Has anyone ever tried using a hawk decoy to scare away owls? We see hawks on occasion but they've never tried to get a chicken. I think the fence is too high and the chicken yard is too small for them to swoop down and grab one. However we've been having owls come in and grab a chick or duck at night. We've actually set traps and caught 3, releasing them far away. I just purchased a hawk decoy at TSC and am just wondering if I'm wasting my time

Your relocating efforts need to stop. Firstly, there is a legality issue with respect to relocating wildlife without a permit. Secondly, the bird may almost be beating you home when released.

You describe a setup that is too tight for hawks. I suggest you cover it with deer netting. Great-horned Owls I mess with really seem to avoid the stuff as it is not just a physical barrier.

Back
Top Bottom