Do you all think that his spur looks OK?!

shannon84

Crowing
7 Years
Jun 1, 2016
Indiana
Chicken newbie here, I did the baked potato method a few days ago and his spur came off like nothing! But bleed like crazy! I put vetericyn on then clotted it with flour. Stopped bleeding finally 20 mins later! Now looks gross and scabby. Then I did the other spur just now and it hardly even bled! So I just want to know if I did everything ok. I love my rooster and I'm just worried I guess :fl

I have never heard of doing this. I have been successful with blue kote for animals wounds.
you've never heard of the potato method then? I've researched so much and it seemed like the way to go and I'm hoping it was the right thing. I'm so worried about that scabby spur I did two days ago. Do you think I should be? Have you ever de spurred before? Thanks for responding!
1f642.png

Wow, that looks scary! I trimmed the spurs with pruners and smoothed the tips with a nail file. That way, the tips are not pointy. I have had so many gashes in the hens' backs. Bentonite clay is superb for stopping bleeding.

Hi @shannon84

Is it dried blood that is on the spur or is it scabs?
Was the potato too hot?

You may want to soak his feet/legs in a warm tub of water with epsom salts, betadine or Chlorhexidine added to the water. Treat it like a wound, so pat dry and apply some Vetericyn or triple antibiotic ointment. See if that helps. You may need to soak his legs once a day for several days and re-apply the ointment(s).

You may want to cage or kennel him in the run on clean dry bedding for a couple of days so you can monitor him and he stays relatively clean. Since he bled quite a bit, offer him some poultry vitamins in his water and some extra protein like egg or tuna in addition to his normal feed.

Keep us posted.

Hi guys, thank you for the replies. It's dried old blood on it. I don't understand why one would bleed so bad but the other hardly at all?! No I could hold the potato with my hands it didn't burn me but it was hot. I held it on maybe a full 3 minutes. How long should I soak his foot? Neosporin with out the pain relief thing right? Ugh I'm stressing out. I hope I'm being overly dramatic
1f61e.png

Is he in pain?

It's probably best to just treat his wound/spur, place him in isolation for a couple of days to let him heal and rest. Fresh food, water and little TLC - I would think he should be fine.

Is he in pain?

It's probably best to just treat his wound/spur, place him in isolation for a couple of days to let him heal and rest.  Fresh food, water and little TLC - I would think he should be fine.
he seems fine I think Im just freaking out. I think I will put him in a crate so he won't be tempted to bother the hens, or so they can't bother his spurs. It's amazing that one bled like crazy and the other just barely dripped. His a handful to mess with but I think I can manage to treat his foot. He only likes me and he hates my husband lol.ill keep you all updated. I did soak it in mild soap water earlier and sprayed that vetericyn several times on it. So is that a pretty good spray? Thank you so much for your help and advice it's greatly appreciated!!

Wow, that looks scary! I trimmed the spurs with pruners and smoothed the tips with a nail file. That way, the tips are not pointy. I have had so many gashes in the hens' backs. Bentonite clay is superb for stopping bleeding.
I have some of that clay I use for my face! I had no idea you could use that.....Thank you for that tip!
1f600.png

Back
Top Bottom