Hen And Roo fighting

abblcart

In the Brooder
Oct 29, 2016
My Silkie hen and rooster have been fighting a lot lately and I don't know why. They always stay together ever since they were chicks but now my hen is picking fights with the rooster. I know my hen is a hen because, well eggs. I am getting very worried because my hen has left several gashes on my roos neck. Luckily they are not deep for now. But after I stop the fighting they calm down and hang out together with no fits and they're good friends again until the next day. Is there anything I can do or is it normal for silkies to have extreme bipolar relationships.

Hi, welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

No, that isn't normal!
hmm.png

However, how old are they? Have you seen any mating attempts? Maybe he is trying to mate her and she thinks it's part of the pecking order and isn't willing to back down.

Do you have other chickens? What is their housing and feed including treats?

I have other hens yes, my silkie hen already has a mate with another rooster. In May they will be a year old. I don't think he is trying to mate with her because she sneak attacks him and he doesn't really attack her. He sometimes pulls out feathers but he usually try's to run while she is pecking, scratching, and not letting go

She sounds like she could use an attitude adjustment in the freezer.
wink.png

Beyond that though, are you planning to keep him?

You could put her in a time out for a day or so... so she has to work her way back into the pecking order. Provide plenty of visual barriers... a bucket, hay stack, toys. Providing extra feeding stations can help sometimes.

But on top of that I would ask... what are you feeding, including supplements and treats? What size is your coop and run area? How many chickens, & boy/girls total? How much roost space? Supplement light?

I ask because many of these can be factors in chicken behaviors and it will help to rule out if she IS the issue or maybe just displaying symptoms of something deeper.
old.gif

No judgement though, we're all here to help.
smile.png

I get feed from the local farm store that comes from the area with the oyster grit. Treats are the chicken party pack with sunflower seeds, raisins and bugs/ larva? The coop is over 8ft long and 5ft wide, not including nests, with 3 roosting rails. They roam the farm 5 days out of the week. We are building a bigger coop 8*8*16 should be done before April. Sadly I now only have 10 chickens, bad thing is half are girls and half boys. But I think some of the Roos maybe confused since they lay on the eggs. My roosters have already figured out who the alpha is and I have never had them fight till blood, It seems more playful since the only thing they do is pounce on each other. What is happening now is the first time there has ever been blood or just straight on attacking

I dont see the problem.Idf wound are not terrible letting them sort things out is probably your best choice.My rooster and hens get into occasional squabbles.

Sounds like your hen is also a domiant one,even more so then your roosters,and it also may sound like your rooster is a bit weak,hens do not like weak roosters.He could still be maturing,and once he does,that hen will have much more on hands then what she bargauned for.

I get feed from the local farm store that comes from the area with the oyster grit. Treats are the chicken party pack with sunflower seeds, raisins and bugs/ larva? The coop is over 8ft long and 5ft wide, not including nests, with 3 roosting rails. They roam the farm 5 days out of the week. We are building a bigger coop 8*8*16 should be done before April. Sadly I now only have 10 chickens, bad thing is half are girls and half boys. But I think some of the Roos maybe confused since they lay on the eggs. My roosters have already figured out who the alpha is and I have never had them fight till blood, It seems more playful since the only thing they do is pounce on each other. What is happening now is the first time there has ever been blood or just straight on attacking

Never seen a cockerel or roo sit on eggs, are you sure it a roo?

Chances are, especially if they are maturing still (and they are), that alpha role will change many times. At least that's what I've seen in my flock.

There is no such thing as just play fighting... practicing maybe, playing NO. It is kind of funny to see them trying to jump on or over each other!
tongue.png
But ultimately they will either settle it and one will except their place. I also let them work it out unless I see it getting too bad.

Back
Top Bottom