Barred rock laying hen grew Spurs & quit laying eggs!

tdmom

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 1, 2012
western NY
I have a now 10 month old barred rock laying hen that was given to me in Septrmber....she was a lone chick raised by herself and joined my flock of hens then. She was a GREAT layer. All my other hand are older and don't lay over winter. I wondered why I wasn't getting anymore eggs from the newest barred rock.

Today I noticed she has grown LONG Spurs. There is no crowing, no mounting, etc. just Spurs and an absence of eggs for 2 1/2 months.

What is happening? Will she resume laying eggs ever? Thanks.

Last edited:
Do you have pictures of her?
I had a hen that after she molted she started crowing and attacking the other hens and acting like rooster. She never stopped laying eggs tho( i knew because i watched her lay an egg and she was our only white egg layer) , and didnt grow spurs thankfully
We gave her away to a farm with a rooster to put her in her place and she stopped crowing after that

Last edited:
Some hens do grow pretty good spurs.
Did she molt over winter?
Might have been hard to see as some molt slowly.

Ive seen where hens suffer from a testosterone imbalance and behave like roosters. I had a bantam hen that was rooish. I honestly don't know what to tell you to do

I have a now 10 month old barred rock laying hen that was given to me in Septrmber....she was a lone chick raised by herself and joined my flock of hens then. She was a GREAT layer. All my other hand are older and don't lay over winter. I wondered why I wasn't getting anymore eggs from the newest barred rock.

Today I noticed she has grown LONG Spurs. There is no crowing, no mounting, etc. just Spurs and an absence of eggs for 2 1/2 months.

What is happening? Will she resume laying eggs ever? Thanks.
Yup I have a buff Plymouth Rock Who used to lay gigantic eggs daily. Now after our rooster died, I hear her doing a strangled Crows in the morning and she’s developed spurs! But worst of all, no eggs. Is there anyway to convert her back?

Back
Top Bottom