Terriers

ShrekDawg

You are loved.
Premium Feather Member
16 Years
Jan 18, 2008
SE Massachusetts
I'm curious if anyone has any terriers and I guess want to start somewhat of a terrier appreciation thread.

I never used to like them that much and always thought they were kind of stubborn or whatever but the past few years I've found several great breeds and plus my grandparents got an adorable terrier mix maybe 4 or 5 years ago? Maybe more or less, not sure. They adopted her from the shelter and she's the cutest little thing. They say she's like crazy but I think she just needs exercise and training. I even managed to start to teach her some stuff, she was very smart and picked up on it very quickly. But unfortunately they live in Pennsylvania so I can't regularly train or exercise her :(

But anyway, she sort of changed my mind.

So far I've been fascinated by Cairn Terriers, Border Terriers, West Highland White Terrier (Westies), Dandy Dinmont Terrier, possibly Rat Terrier or Jack Russels, and most recently, I saw a Glen of Imaal Terrier on TV tonight watching the Westminster rerun. It was gorgeous and sounded very sweet. I would love one. Until I realized they are extremely rare here and therefore likely a long wait list and/or expensive. :(

I would eventually love a terrier though, along with lots of other breeds.

Anyone have any terriers? Stories or pictures?

Oh and also I should note she's only crazy sometimes, she also loves to jump up in their laps and sleep. And she loves to lay next to me. She's very sweet indoors. Just crazy in some ways like barking a lot and bad on walks especially with dogs/moving objects

Ah, terriers, scrappy, yappy, and full of zest. They can be hard on chickens.

I used to have a rat terrier jack Russell mix, which i currently have no photos on my kindle of unfortunately.

I currently have a rat terrier Chihuahua mix and a boston terrier french bull dog mix which carries the terrier name but is all bulldog, confident and fun to have around.

I am always dreaming of the next dog to add to my pack.

This is my Spike, she is second in command but will take nothing from no other dog like most terriers.

Poor Rosie the boxer is so terrified of upsetting Spike, see how Rosie gets the little bed.

This is Matilda, or Tilly, who likes riding in wheel barrows and sitting on the couch. She's also has spunk, but can put it away to take a nap.

Your dogs are so cute! And poor Rosie LOL

I've always loved bulldogs but especially Frenchies. Although I've heard their health is bad? Or can be? But yeah, didn't Bostons come from bulldogs anyway? So not sure how they got the terrier name ha but they're adorable.

I can imagine they could be hard on chickens though. Do you keep yours separated or you've just trained them?

Mine are taught to leave the chickens alone from the start. Rosie the boxer was the worse and she actually killed a couple unfortunately before we got things under control. I did have health problems at the time that kept me from doing what I needed to at the time to teach her to leave them. She knows better now, but occasionally needs reminding when chickens are about.

Spike won't chase chickens unless I ask her to, but ducks are apparently always to be chased. She doesn't actually catch them. She's good at herding turkeys. She also believes she's allowed to eat any chicken I pick up so I have to watch her. Otherwise she's fine. She's cute so she gets away with a few things. I can't imagine owning a more forceful terrier breed with chickens, though I've always wanted a Jack Russell.

I believe all bulldog type breeds came from the same original dogs. I'm hoping because mine is a mix she will be healthier. So far she hasn't had any problems.

We have a great little jack russell/rat terrier mix. He was about 8 years old when we got our firsr chickens. He could totally care less about chickens. He is great with all animals! Except mice! Haha.
He is 100% trustworthy around the birds!
We also have a yorkie which is also a terrier- yorkshire terrier
And he is also fine with chickens. As is our black lab.
The only one who wants to chase them sometimes is the chihuahua/hairless chinese crested mix.
Our black lab can be found laying on his side in the yard with chickens all around and sometimes on him!!
The chickens will chase my yorkie for some reason! Haha!
Here is the jack russell/ rat terrier. He is 10 years old now and this was taken the other day

Last edited:
Mine are taught to leave the chickens alone from the start. Rosie the boxer was the worse and she actually killed a couple unfortunately before we got things under control. I did have health problems at the time that kept me from doing what I needed to at the time to teach her to leave them. She knows better now, but occasionally needs reminding when chickens are about.

Spike won't chase chickens unless I ask her to, but ducks are apparently always to be chased. She doesn't actually catch them. She's good at herding turkeys. She also believes she's allowed to eat any chicken I pick up so I have to watch her. Otherwise she's fine. She's cute so she gets away with a few things. I can't imagine owning a more forceful terrier breed with chickens, though I've always wanted a Jack Russell.

Oh wow that's awesome! Glad they're under control now but wow that's funny she distinguishes between certain types of birds haha

Jack Russels are cute.

I believe all bulldog type breeds came from the same original dogs. I'm hoping because mine is a mix she will be healthier. So far she hasn't had any problems.

That makes sense! They sure do look the same. And that's good :)

Back
Top Bottom