How to stop drake from biting dog? (Duck behavior)

KatsGotChicks

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 25, 2016
I have 3 horses, 5 chickens (4 hens, 1 roo), 3 ducks (2 hens, 1 drake) and a very well behaved female pitbull. The dog lives inside but has to share the yard with the birds. Everyone gets along for the most part, except that my drake (Nigel) has been chasing my dog (Lizzie) around the yard and biting her. Liz knows the birds are part of the pack and won't bite them, but she will tell Nigel off for biting her, like she would another dog. The problem is that Nigel can't take a hint! Nigel doesn't bite humans- just the dog. I have trained the birds to come when I whistle. Does anyone have suggestions for training Nigel to leave Lizzie alone? Please help!

Drakes can be aggressive towards other animals once they have bonded to a hen. I had a Rouen drake who had bonded with my Rouen hen, and he would bully my cats and chickens, chasing the chickens all around the yard. It sounds like your drake is just being overly protective of his lady or ladies. It's good that your dog is well behaved and hasn't hurt him, but I would keep Nigel separated from the flock with his ladies. Is there anyway you can build them a large outdoor run? I'm afraid there's no way to train your drake to be nice to your dog. He unfortunately sees her as a threat, and it's just instinct for drakes to protect their hens.

Last edited:
Not sure how tame yours are ?

I always Quack to mine and they all listen really good....Mine was after my one Dog also and and i Quacked loud and walked behind him to get him moving.....He has not chased him since....Possible coincidence or it works?

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom