Introducing chickens help!!

sarandipity08

In the Brooder
Feb 13, 2017
Hi! I inherited 4 chickens with my new home. Two small ones in the big coop and then my two larger ones in their own. I've read a ton on integrating them and I had them in pens next to each other to visually introduce for a week. I just added the four together this morning. The two smaller ones are pecking and attacking the larger ones as I expected however the smaller of the larger birds is being picked on. They have pulled a few of her feathers on the back of her neck and I can see a little blood on her face where they have cut her top knot a little. She seems so upset. I check on them about every 15 minutes and they aren't really fighting anymore but they definitely aren't friends and there is still some blood on my picked on baby's face. Should I continue to keep them together or separate them. I'm so nervous for my babies! Thanks!

Hi! I inherited 4 chickens with my new home. Two small ones in the big coop and then my two larger ones in their own. I've read a ton on integrating them and I had them in pens next to each other to visually introduce for a week. I just added the four together this morning. The two smaller ones are pecking and attacking the larger ones as I expected however the smaller of the larger birds is being picked on. They have pulled a few of her feathers on the back of her neck and I can see a little blood on her face where they have cut her top knot a little. She seems so upset. I check on them about every 15 minutes and they aren't really fighting anymore but they definitely aren't friends and there is still some blood on my picked on baby's face. Should I continue to keep them together or separate them. I'm so nervous for my babies! Thanks!

If you have game bantams they will fight till someone dies---I have Never been able to put adult game with any other chicken including chicks. Hatched together gets along ok. I have just always kept my bantams separated from the others.

Last edited:
If you have game bantams they will fight till someone dies---I have Never been able to put adult game with any other chicken including chicks. Hatched together gets along ok. I have just always kept my bantams separated from the others.

I am not sure what breed they are. I inherited them. Can you tell?

Back
Top Bottom