Joining the chicken family!

Stugirl

In the Brooder
Jan 27, 2017
Greetings! I live in southern Maine with my husband and 12 roosters and 50 hens! My chicken adventure began in Nov 2014, when I adopted 13 chickens/roosters from an elderly women. I caught the chicken fever! In the spring of 2015, I ordered 40 hatchery chicks, then began hatching my own last year. I primarily raise chickens for egg production. I sell up to 13 dozen a week when the hens are laying their best. I have the following breeds: Rhode Island Reds, NH Reds, NJ Giants, Silver laced Wyandottes, Australorps, Americana, Plymouth Barred Rocks, Buff Rock, Blue Andalusians and a few Olive Eggers.
stor

Welcome to Backyard chickens Stu Girl. That snow sure keeps the chickens in place. Do your 12 roos get along, or are they separated?

Hello from Kansas, Stugirl, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined our flock! Great looking flock and fine pictures! Best of luck to you, your hens, and your egg business!
wee.gif

Hi Drumstick Diva,

I keep the whole flock together, including the roosters, in a retro fit box trailer, we call the "Chick-Inn Trailer"! On the days, that are extremely cold, or really bad weather, they stay inside the trailer. That's really only been 2-3 days at a time over the course of the winter. The roosters are much happier when they can get outside and have some extra space. When the snow is gone, the flock has an enclosed 60' x 80' chicken yard with a 6' buried fence covered by blueberry netting. I also have two chicken tractors that I use for breeding and broody hens. I can honestly say I don't have a mean rooster in the bunch. I make a habit of handling the roosters several times a week. Although, I will need to rehome about 1/2 of the roosters this spring to make room for the new comers.

Really nice to know hear of good roosters. We mainly hear from people with very aggressive ones. You should offer "Stu Girls Finishing School for Roosters.

G’Day from down under Stugirl
frow.gif
Welcome!

Beautiful pictures!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom