My Rooster dropped dead

chickenDDD

In the Brooder
Oct 8, 2016
Cypress County, Alberta
So my vibrant Ron Burgundy was fine this morning when I gathered eggs and 8 hours later I come home from work and found him under one of the nesting levels, sort of tucked in a corner. His coloring was a darker purple color but no signs of trauma. This is our first flock raised from day olds with no issues other than some pasty butt when really young. There are no signs of sickness in the coop. Any ideas?

Dark purple color? Probably a cardiac event. Sudden death is not uncommon in chickens and can be from a variety of reasons, just like in people or any animal . If you can, get a necropsy done to know for sure. Sorry for your loss, and welcome to BYC.

we had the same thing happen to us almost a month ago. We were only inside for 4 hour and came out and he was on his back and had a blue comb :( i was in such shock I forgot about the free or very cheap necropsy you can get done. Im sorry for your loss. Its so sad when this happens and you have no answers. From what I've read and been told is it was probably a heart attach or stoke.

Wow I never thought of cardiac. I considered possible choking because he was so young, he hatched late July. Thank you so much for your response, and your warm welcome.
1f60a.png

Sorry for your loss. I've heard often of birds just suddenly dead and found on their backs. When I started on BYC people called it 'flip.' from either stroke or heart attack

So sorry for your loss but it happens sometimes people die from a sudden heart attack and chickens can do the same could of been just genetics or a birth deficiency again sorry for your loss

Dark purple color? Probably a cardiac event. Sudden death is not uncommon in chickens and can be from a variety of reasons, just like in people or any animal . If you can, get a necropsy done to know for sure. Sorry for your loss, and welcome to BYC.
Silly OT question here...Why is it when a human dies it's called an autopsy but when it's an animal it's called a necropsy?

P.s. I know "necro" means death or deceased

Last edited:
Silly OT question here...Why is it when a human dies it's called an autopsy but when it's an animal it's called a necropsy?

P.s. I know "necro" means death or deceased

I often wondered about that too, but I don't know the answer. I suppose just to distinguish from humans, but I think that's dumb, if that's the reason. Yes, we do get really attached to these creatures,they are every bit as quick to climb inside your heart as other animals.

Back
Top Bottom