....Is this a worm? Do I remove it?

EMorical

Chirping
May 2, 2016
SouthWest NoDak
Hello Chicken People! Please don't read/look if you are eating supper.

I have a hen whom I think/thought was "egg bound" - noticed her this afternoon walking a little goofy, lathargic, and some clear discharge. I scooped her up off the roost when she had settled for the night; and into the bathroom we went for a soak and some tums.

Turns out..........I don't think it was egg bound. Is that a tape worm?
sickbyc.gif
Or what. I was feeling her abdomen/vent area and I didn't really feel anything that feels like it could be an egg. But all this feeling happened after I had her soaking, so I just continued with a 30 minute spa treatment and calcium load.

Can I get a little feedback? She's chillin in a box with some towels right now in the bathroom ... If it is a worm; is it ok for me to remove it? Or just let nature take it's course....?

The look of shame.

Me thinks this is not supposed to be there.

It might be an egg membrane that has been retained after she had an egg break inside, but it almost looks like a pine shaving. Can you pull it out and have a look? Her vent looks a bit open. I had a couple of hens who would have a partial prolapse when laying an egg, then it would go back inside.

Last edited:
Yes, egg membrane. Glad you got it out. This sometimes happens, but it is good to make sure that she is eating a layer feed with extra crushed oyster shell on the side to eat as she needs. My chickens prefer finely crushed egg shells fed back, but they have both. Some hens have problems with thin shelled or shell less eggs when they are new layers, or if their shell gland is not working properly.

Back
Top Bottom