Mystery Eggs!

AbisChicks16

Songster
Sep 14, 2016
South Florida
I have two mottled Cochin bantams,a black silkie, a welsummer, a blue Andalusian, and a Partridge Rock that are all 24weeks old. I've found several different eggs in my coop yesterday and today. I need help identifying them.

Is the bottom egg as white as it appears in the photo? If so, that would be from your Andalusian. The speckled egg I suspect has come from your Welsummer -- especially if this bird was hatchery sourced - unfortunately not all of them will produce the lovely, dark eggs folks expect from them.

Time for a Butt Check!!
If you really want to know who is laying and who is not, which should narrow down your 'mystery'.

Vent Appearance:
Dry, tight, and smaller - usually not laying.
Moist, wide, and larger - usually laying.

Pelvic Points, feel for the 2 bony points(pelvic bones) on either side of vent:
Less than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means not laying.
More than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means laying.

Is the bottom egg as white as it appears in the photo?  If so, that would be from your Andalusian.  The speckled egg I suspect has come from your Welsummer -- especially if this bird was hatchery sourced - unfortunately not all of them will produce the lovely, dark eggs folks expect from them.

They came from mypetchicken. I got them when they were a day old.. the top egg is from the mottled Cochin, because I saw her sister lay an identical egg.
Yes, the white egg is white white and large.

Time for a Butt Check!!
If you really want to know who is laying and who is not, which should narrow down your 'mystery'.

Vent Appearance:
Dry, tight, and smaller - usually not laying.
Moist, wide, and larger - usually laying.

Pelvic Points, feel for the 2 bony points(pelvic bones) on either side of vent:
Less than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means not laying.
More than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means laying.

I've never done a butt check.. thank you for the info.. I'm going to try it..I'm still new chickens. We bought our farm in July and it came with 12 chickens.

I'm new to chickens this year and have been getting the same colored eggs for the summer but yesterday I got a new colored egg so I was wondering if maybe its a guniea egg . my gunieas and one duck are pinned with my chickens but my chicken can't get in my boxes so I assume maybe its a guniea egg ..
Anyone .. Can u tell me if the dirty white looking eggs a guniea eggs?View attachment 1170129
Screenshot_20171026-120628.jpg
Screenshot_20171026-120628.jpg

Back
Top Bottom