Help, sick duck?

PearlTheDuck

Songster
5 Years
Oct 19, 2016
Texas
This morning I noticed beige color diarrhea from my year old duck. The shell of the egg she layed this morning, you can press on it and it just bends inward but does not break. This morning I noticed she dug out a nest and layed her egg in it, there were feathers in the nest also, I figured she might of been laying on the egg and broke the egg (from just looking at the egg it looked like it had just a dent) but I picked it up and like I said, can press on the sides and it goes inward but does not break. Also the egg has an awful smell

Last night I gave her cabbage, not cooked. but I have given it to her before and she has been fine.

Also, in the morning she sometimes gets into my pigs food, could that effect her this way?

Last edited:
This morning I noticed beige color diarrhea from my year old duck. The shell of the egg she layed this morning, you can press on it and it just bends inward but does not break. This morning I noticed she dug out a nest and layed her egg in it, there were feathers in the nest also, I figured she might of been laying on the egg and broke the egg (from just looking at the egg it looked like it had just a dent) but I picked it up and like I said, can press on the sides and it goes inward but does not break. Also the egg has an awful smell

Last night I gave her cabbage, not cooked. but I have given it to her before and she has been fine.

Also, in the morning she sometimes gets into my pigs food, could that effect her this way?

I don't know whats in pigs food but I doubt it's made for water fowl. The foods they eat does affect the smell and color of their eggs and poop. Are you giving her layer and or oyster shell too? Sometimes they will lay soft shell no shell and quite a few other oddities this is normal it's when they keep happening there is concern. She sounds a little broody too if she has feathers in her nest unless she is in molt.

I don't know whats in pigs food but I doubt it's made for water fowl.  The foods they eat does affect the smell and color of their eggs and poop.  Are you giving her layer and or oyster shell too? Sometimes they will lay soft shell no shell and quite a few other oddities  this is normal it's when they keep happening there is concern. She sounds a little broody too if she has feathers in her nest unless she is in molt.

I give her layer feed, no oyster shells. She's not molting.

I've never seen her dig out a nest and lay an egg in it before, I'm hoping for her to go broody sometime this year. Though she was not laying on the egg when I went and let her out.

I just hope she's not sick or something, she acts perfectly fine though. Definitely going to keep her away from the pig food

Last edited:
Depends on the pig feed you use?

If it is an Oat and barley type? No its fine.....I know a lady that raises pigs and Ducks and they all eat the same feed........

Possibly she has not been eating the oyster she'll enough ? And too much cabbage can make anything stink.......i only give it every few months......

Not sure?

Hope everything is okay with her?.......

Cheers!

I give her layer feed, no oyster shells. She's not molting.

I've never seen her dig out a nest and lay an egg in it before, I'm hoping for her to go broody sometime this year. Though she was not laying on the egg when I went and let her out.

I just hope she's not sick or something, she acts perfectly fine though. Definitely going to keep her away from the pig food
I'd offer her some oyster shell on the side she'll eat it as she needs it. She maybe thinking of going broody but you'll have to leave her eggs in the nest to find out and she may lay 8 or more before she decides to sit. Does she have a drake? Also you can pick up some calcium citrate 250mgs and supplement that with crushed peas or in her feed.

Depends on the pig feed you use?

If it is an Oat and barley type? No its fine.....I know a lady that raises pigs and Ducks and they all eat the same feed........

Possibly she has not been eating the oyster she'll enough ? And too much cabbage can make anything stink.......i only give it every few months......

Not sure?

Hope everything is okay with her?.......

Cheers!

I'd offer her some oyster shell on the side she'll eat it as she needs it.  She maybe thinking of going broody but you'll have to leave her eggs in the nest to find out and she may lay 8 or more before she decides to sit. Does she have a drake? Also you can pick up some calcium citrate 250mgs and supplement that with crushed peas or in her feed.

No Drake, she is an only duck (well, only duck for the next few hours, I'm about to go pick up a couple ducklings from TSC :) ) I will possibly be ordering some fertilized eggs if she shows for sure signs of going broody.

Not sure on the pigs food, it's pellet form.

I'll pick up the calcium when I leave for TSC

She's been doing good today so far, hopefully it was the pig food

No Drake, she is an only duck (well, only duck for the next few hours, I'm about to go pick up a couple ducklings from TSC
smile.png
) I will possibly be ordering some fertilized eggs if she shows for sure signs of going broody.

Not sure on the pigs food, it's pellet form.

I'll pick up the calcium when I leave for TSC

She's been doing good today so far, hopefully it was the pig food
I hope so too. Okay don't forget to post some pics of your new little ones. We'd be disappointed if you didn't.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom