New to chickens and so many questions!

jenn5490

Hatching
Feb 21, 2017
My name is Jenn and back in July we got 4 red sex link hens and one rooster. About a month later, our rooster died. He was alive at 5:30 when my husband first went outside in the morning, but when he went back out at 6:00, the rooster had died. We aren't sure what happened. Our girls lay everyday. With winter here now, sometimes we only get three eggs a day instead of four. We live in northern Ontario where an average daytime temperature is -20C. Recently, I found an egg with blood on the shell. When it happened again the next day, and there was more blood than last time, I checked the girl's bottoms. One of them was full of blood so I put her in a box in our heated garage so she can heal. If anyone knows why she's bleeding and can tell me how to help her that would be great! She's still acting normal and laying everyday.

Thanks!

Greetings, Jenn, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you aboard! BYC is a super resource and should be able to answer all your questions.
The first best stop is the Learning Center here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center It is a treasure trove of articles covering nearly every aspect of chicken raising.
The Emergencies & Diseases Forum will be a great place to post your concerns about your hen - there are some real chicken health experts that patrol that thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures
And if you'd like to chat with some other Canada poultry keepers, locate the canada thread here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you
Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!
smile.png

Hi and welcome

I would start by giving her a soak in a warm Epsom salts bath and get her all cleaned up. My concern would be that she may have a small prolapse. If that is the case, then haemorrhoid cream or honey applied to it and then gently push it back inside her, is the course of action and keep her in a dark place for a few days to discourage laying until she heals and perhaps repeat as necessary if it pops back out again.
Forgot to mention a warm blow dry with the hair drier after her bath is important at this time of year otherwise she will chill from being wet.

It could of course just be a slight tear of the cloaca caused by laying a large egg. In that case, once it is cleaned up, apply antiseptic ointment and again, keep her in the dark for a few days to discourage laying, to give it time to heal.

Good luck with fixing her.

Regards

Barbara

G’Day from down under Jenn
frow.gif
Welcome!

I am sorry to hear about your rooster and hope that your hen makes a full recovery.

I also hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

welcome-byc.gif

You've received some good advice so I'll just say hello and hope your hen is fine.

Thanks for joining us!

Hi there and welcome to the chicken club! I am so glad you joined BYC, please make yourself at home and enjoy yourself here! :frow

~Cuz

Back
Top Bottom