Rooster sitting on nest and clucking...

grnidone

Songster
7 Years
Jul 9, 2016
Russell, Kansas
I came around the corner of the yard and heard lots of clucking coming from the nesting box. I thought it was one of the hens laying, but saw my two hens standing outside of the coop quietly waiting.

My rooster was sitting in the nesting box clucking away.

What could possibly be going on?

Alot of times roosters will do this to encourage the hens to get in there to lay his children. Especially if the hens are relatively new to laying. He's keeping them in check basically. But there are times when they do it to get out of the sun for a little bit, or that's just a characteristic that gives him a unique personality. Either way, if he's stubborn and absolutely won't get out and the hens absolutely won't go in with him in there, you may have to just grab him and sit him outside of it. Giving your hens a chance to go in.

Alot of times roosters will do this to encourage the hens to get in there to lay his children. Especially if the hens are relatively new to laying. He's keeping them in check basically. But there are times when they do it to get out of the sun for a little bit, or that's just a characteristic that gives him a unique personality. Either way, if he's stubborn and absolutely won't get out and the hens absolutely won't go in with him in there, you may have to just grab him and sit him outside of it. Giving your hens a chance to go in.

Roosters do thus to encourage laying,and it is a courtship thing.Some roosters will even go beoody and assist hens while their brooding.

OK...He's actually very good. He'll get out to allow them in. And, sometimes when they are both in the nests, he will stand outside and guard him. He's an awesome roo!

Back
Top Bottom