Hey y'all, from Augusta, Ga!

dawgfanfer

Hatching
Feb 21, 2017
We bought a house last June with a BEAUTIFUL chicken coop in the backyard. This past weekend I finally got it all cleaned up and ready to welcome some new chickens. I will be a first time chicken Momma and am pretty clueless. A friend is giving me a couple of eggs (mix of Buff Orpingtons and Barred Rocks) along with her incubator to borrow. She promised to give me guidance and said it's pretty easy to care for chicks. I hope she is right! I have a 2.5 year old daughter and want to spend more time with her outdoors connecting with nature. I hope I am getting started with a good breed. Thanks for any tips/insight. I am happy to be a newbie in this group!

Howdy from Kansas, dawgfanfer, and
welcome-byc.gif
! It's great to have you in our community! You will find BYC to be full of friendly and knowledgeable folks - ready to assist you with any questions you might have. A great starting point would be the Learning Center here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center It's loaded with awesome articles that will answer almost every poultry question or problem you'll come up against.
And if you'd like to chat with some local chicken folks, locate the GA thread in this link and stop by and say hello:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you
I will you all the best and thank you for joining BYC!
wee.gif

Welcome to BYC - and best of luck with your hatch. As you do have a kiddo to consider that will be involved in this at a fairly young and excitable age I would encourage you to have a plan b in mind so that if your hatch does not go well or the chicks wind up being a bunch of cockerels you will still have birds to move forward with for your little one. Do you know what breed the rooster I in this mix? Asking because if the barred rocks are the hen side of this potential crossing (if I'm understanding it right and the birds are a flock of pure bred buff orps and barred rocks that will be crossing to give the eggs you set) this will help in the sexing of the chicks that hatch.

Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice and links already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
CT

G’Day from down under dawgfanfer
frow.gif
Welcome!

Best wishes to you and good luck with the hatch.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

Hi there and welcome to the chicken club! I am so glad you joined BYC, please make yourself at home and enjoy yourself here! :frow

~Cuz

Back
Top Bottom