Home made incubator

chockenmama

In the Brooder
Jul 4, 2016
Hi, this is my first time hatching, and diy master (aka my husband) insisted on building his own incubator.
The incubator is not bad...but i feel that the heat is not constant and the humidity too high- theres no wayer and it reads 45%!
We have managed to keep the temperature at 38-40°c but i still think its fluctuating too much.
Any one have any advice or words of wisdom?

My first time hatching was in a diy styrofoam incubator. I had terrible heat fluctuations. It was one of the best hatch rates I've had since.
1f644.png

I did eventually break down and order one of those stc1000 digital controllers. I wired the first one backwards and fried it. Spent another $16 and did it right. That thing is awesome!

Do you have a fan in your incubator? That can be a big help in evening out the temp and humidity. And 45% humidity with no water isn't unreasonable if your household humidity is around that range. That depends on your weather, and how hard your furnace is running. (The more my furnace runs, the dryer my house gets.)

Good luck, have fun, try not to fret more than is necessary. :)

Thank you, i dont have a fan but will tell hubby to either get one attached the next time round or to succumb and buy an incubator lol

My first time hatching was in a diy styrofoam incubator. I had terrible heat fluctuations. It was one of the best hatch rates I've had since.
1f644.png

I did eventually break down and order one of those stc1000 digital controllers. I wired the first one backwards and fried it. Spent another $16 and did it right. That thing is awesome!

Do you have a fan in your incubator? That can be a big help in evening out the temp and humidity. And 45% humidity with no water isn't unreasonable if your household humidity is around that range. That depends on your weather, and how hard your furnace is running. (The more my furnace runs, the dryer my house gets.)

Good luck, have fun, try not to fret more than is necessary. :)
Any chance you can share your home made incubator plans?

Any chance you can share your home made incubator plans?
Sorry, there were no plans. I just searched on line and copied ones I saw. Hm. I did do a thread about my mini fridge ‘bator. That might show how I rigged some stuff up. But I gave up on home made incubators after the digital controller on mine went haywire and cooked a batch of eggs. I’ve been very happy ever since with my Incuview and my Genesis 1588. I also bought a Farm Innovators 4250 a year ago. I like the 1588 better, but they are essentially the same.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/the-stealthbator.1102421/#post-16955917

Back
Top Bottom