Mother Hen

bellajenn

In the Brooder
Aug 13, 2016
Hello,

I am new to chickens. Had mine since July when they were a week old. I have my first Brody hen. I am so excited. My problem is she has been sitting on the eggs about 13 days now and I noticed yesterday that she has more eggs than what she started out with. Last week I finally was able to count them and she had 15 eggs but last night I went up there and now she has over 25. They all have to be at different stages. I need help. I am not sure what I should do. I have separated her so she can't get anymore eggs but what do I do with the eggs she has. When the ones that she has been sitting on since day one start to hatch I know she will eventually abandon any unhatched eggs to take care of her chicks. Should I try putting them in an incubator?

Hello,

I am new to chickens. Had mine since July when they were a week old. I have my first Brody hen. I am so excited. My problem is she has been sitting on the eggs about 13 days now and I noticed yesterday that she has more eggs than what she started out with. Last week I finally was able to count them and she had 15 eggs but last night I went up there and now she has over 25. They all have to be at different stages. I need help. I am not sure what I should do. I have separated her so she can't get anymore eggs but what do I do with the eggs she has. When the ones that she has been sitting on since day one start to hatch I know she will eventually abandon any unhatched eggs to take care of her chicks. Should I try putting them in an incubator?
Personally, I'd candle all and place the most advanced ones back under her after marking them and place the rest in an incubator. When a hen goes broody you should mark all eggs that you want her to have and then remove any new ones on a daily basis so that you don't have development spanned across days.

and
welcome-byc.gif

I just wanted to update you. 11 babies are alive and well so far. Apparently I am not good at candling though. Some in the incubator hatched too and of course I was out of town. Thankfully mother Hen accepted all. I still have 11 in the incubator as I did not notice that she had more under her until a week later so not sure how far along if any are good. I will keep them in for another week before I get rid of them.

I just wanted to update you. 11 babies are alive and well so far. Apparently I am not good at candling though. Some in the incubator hatched too and of course I was out of town. Thankfully mother Hen accepted all. I still have 11 in the incubator as I did not notice that she had more under her until a week later so not sure how far along if any are good. I will keep them in for another week before I get rid of them.
Congrats!

Back
Top Bottom