Crazy questions!

toni purl

In the Brooder
Feb 23, 2017
Palm bay, florida
OK....I had a chicken(RIR) wander into my yard n decided to stay, so I decided she would prob want a friend so went n got 2 day old chicks(buff orpintons), the chicks r now 6-7weeks old n when I put them out in the Lil coop outside the RIR walks around it kinda growling at them...how n when can I introduce them? N yea I'm totally new to this!!!

OK....I had a chicken(RIR) wander into my yard n decided to stay, so I decided she would prob want a friend so went n got 2 day old chicks(buff orpintons), the chicks r now 6-7weeks old n when I put them out in the Lil coop outside the RIR walks around it kinda growling at them...how n when can I introduce them? N yea I'm totally new to this!!!

Not what you want to hear, but ""I"" wait till they are full grown so they can some-what protect themselves. Reason Is I got tired of the chicks being pecked, jumped on, killed by being pecked in the head, scared to death in a corner, etc. I had the extra pens so I went that way.

At that age in Florida they can be outside with no supplemental heat. That was the easy question.

We all integrate at different ages and use different ways. We are all unique in goals, set-up and facilities, management techniques, flock make-up, flock dynamics, and many other things. What works for one person may not work for another. I regularly integrate 5 week old chicks with the flock, but others have to wait a lot longer. Some do it younger.

I raise my chicks in a brooder built into the coop. The chicks grow up with the flock so they are used to each other. I have a lot of room. To me, that is a key, lots of room.

You have a bit if a challenge since you only have one adult. Chickens are flock animals and really want to be with other chickens. But the pecking order drive is strong. Mature chickens always outrank immature chickens. If an immature chicken invades the personal space of a mature chicken, they are likely to get pecked. In a normal flock the mature chickens stay in one flock and the immature chickens form a sub-flock, avoiding the older chickens as much as possible, but the older ones usually do not go after the younger. They peacefully co-exist. Occasionally you will get a chicken, usually a hen, that is an absolute brute and actively searches out the younger to do bodily harm. That’s where the flock dynamics come in, a lot depends on the personality of the individual chickens. But a key to this is that the younger have enough room to avoid the older.

When the younger mature enough to force their way into the pecking order they become a pretty peaceful happy flock. That’s usually about the time a pullet starts to lay. Until then they usually form two sub-flocks. Sometimes my younger chicks can intermingle with the adults without any problems at all, but usually they form a separate sub-flock.

I don’t know how your situation will play out. Since she is alone, your hen will probably want to be near the chicks, but if they get close to her she might peck them, possibly doing harm. Usually the chicks run away when they are pecked and avoid the older ones after that learning experience. A whole lot will depend on the personality of your individual hen.

I don’t know how much room you have or how it is set up. I suggest you find a way to house those chicks where the hen and chicks can see each other but can’t physically get to each other for at least a week, two is probably better. Then let them mix and see what happens, giving them as much space as possible. Do it when you can watch. It may work out fine, you may have to intervene.

I suggest separate feeding and watering stations. Sometimes the adults intimidate the younger by keeping them away from the food and water. Spreading the food and water out makes it easier for the younger to eat and drink without challenging the older.

This might be a good application for the safe haven method. If you can do a search on Azygous, I think she has a link in her signature to that method with details. It’s basically where you have a place with an entry too small for your hen to use but where the chicks can run to if they are attacked. It’s a good place for separate food and water. That way the chicks are in control of their safety.

I wish you luck. Having just one adult makes you kind of unique.

Ty so very much I really appreciate all u said I learned alot it helped! I guess the RIR was attracted to the black sunflower seeds I feed the wild birds. I went n got her pellets but she'd rather eat the seeds, I put together higher in the tree but the just flew up there! She walks around all day looking for bugs but she doesn't like her pellets what do I do?

“Pellets” doesn’t tell my much about that feed, just the form it’s in. You can also get crumble or mash. Mash is a power, pellets are bigger chunks, and crumble is in between. What counts is the analysis, the part of the label that tells the percent of various nutrition, protein, fiber, calcium, and fats for example. My guess (and it’s only a guess) is that you have a Layer. If you look at the analysis the calcium is probably between 3.5 and 4.5 percent. That calcium is for laying hens’ egg shells. Other types of chicken feed will have somewhere around 1% calcium. Too much calcium is not geed for growing chicks but the hens need it for egg shells. The way I get around that with my mixed age flock is feed a feed that has around 1% calcium but offer oyster shell on the side. The hen that needs it for her egg shells should eat the oyster shell, the others won’t eat enough to harm themselves.

That sunflower seed is probably what we call BOSS, Black Oil Sunflower Seed. It’s fairly high in protein, probably around 20%, but as the name implies, it’s also pretty high in oil content. It’s a great treat in small quantities. The oil will help make her feathers really shiny and pretty, but it does not supply a lot of the other nutrients she needs. It needs to be limited to small quantities, not a major portion of her diet.

They really like some things better than their feed, plus she probably is not used to eating chicken feed. You’ve seen how well she can fly. I don’t know what your set-up looks like, but the only way I know of to stop her eating that BOSS is to keep her away from it. She’s not going to starve even if she doesn’t eat the chicken feed for a day or two, but if it’s all she has she will eventually eat it. She might even learn to like it, who knows.

So I’d suggest either stop feeding sunflower seeds to the birds (I know not what you want to hear and I wouldn’t either), or put it in a feeder she can’t get to, maybe a hanging feeder.

I am so sorry!!! My stupid phone!!!I didn't look BFOR I sent!!!not douche!!!! So much!!!! It was supposed to say Ty so much!!!!! Wow! Again so very sorry!!!!!!!!!

OK I looked at the bag n it said layer pellets. I'm going to get better bird feeders n I'm going to move the chickens living quarters so the feeders aren't right in their faces too! I got a pic here of Gertrude growling @ Peep n Boe this morning

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom