How do I keep the "mottle" in my turkey breeding.

Eric1980

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 19, 2014
Ohio
I am amateur with genetics, and to be more clear from my title, let me explain in full what I'm trying to achieve and why. (NOTE: To skip right to the direct question and dodge the background story - jump to the last paragraph.)

My first turkey pair that I hatched and raised were an ebay order. The seller said that the 2 turkey eggs included(as part of an assortment including other poultry) would consist of either "Royal Palms" or what he titled a "Chocolate Palm Project". When I received my eggs, the two noticeable turkey eggs were clearly marked with "CPP" - I had received the project. "This should be interesting.", I thought. A near month later, at hatch time, I come home from work, walk in the door, and hear an unfamiliar(to me) "chirp". To my left, in the incubator, I see a head popping up. A turkey was the first to hatch, however, this guy(or girl) had nothing "chocolate" about it. It was mainly black with yellowish white. Soon, the 2nd turkey hatched. Same coloration. I thought maybe the chocolate will show up later. Nope. As they grew, I was convinced that I had a couple of mutts or mongrels. Black birds with random accents of Royal Palm feathering. At first I thought "ugly", til they hit full size. The tom started to look very striking. In fact, he was absolutely BEAUTIFUL! After studying up, and checking out Porter's website, I'd come to realize that I actually had me a pair of "Mottled Blacks". I later mated them together, and hatched a few of their offspring. I expected half R. Palms, but didn't know what the rest would be. The remainders were colored like the parents at hatch(mainly black w/white) and one was an actual "chocolate" color. To cut the story down, I sold a couple young, lost one, and sadly, I eventually lost both parents to predators. In the end, I now have a lone Mottled Chocolate hen.

Here's my question: What color or color combination can I possibly mate this girl(chocolate mottle) with to return me to some mottled blacks? Locally, I saw 3 year old toms for sale that were all black(Spanish maybe). She needs a mate, and I am curious if a black tom on my chocolate mottle will hatch me, in part,black mottles - if it's anything like the "barring" factor in chickens, or what I could expect. I obviously don't know, and welcome input. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Have you checked out / played around with the turkey genetics calculator at all?

http://www.porterturkeys.com/turkeycolorcalculator.htm

My goodness. I forgot Porter's offered their calculator. Here were the sum of the calculations:

Percentage Gender Phenotype
25 Female Black Semi-Color Semi-Gray
25 Male Black Semi-Color Semi-Gray
25 Female Tri-color Mottled Black
25 Male Tri-color Mottled Black

That WAS with a Black(Spanish) over Ch. Mottle. So, if I'm reading this right, it looks as if I have a 50% chance at Black Mottles, and 50% of some derivative of gray. Thanks for the calculator reminder! Interesting tool.

Last edited:
Yeah it comes in very handy. I used it in a similar manner as you, when I was trying to figure out what color tom I wanted to buy for my girls that wouldn't make me end up with a bunch of ugly poults lol

Back
Top Bottom