Dorkings or Icelandics?? Can't decide

jasonbUSMC

Hatching
Feb 23, 2017
Hello all. Glad to become a member of BYC,

I'm looking to buy a heritage breed and can't decide whether to get Dorkings or Icelandics...
The main traits I am looking for are: 1. birds that lay well in winter 2. excellent foragers 3. broodiness.
From what I've read, both breeds meet this criteria.
Some information: I live in San Angelo Texas (in town). I started with chickens from Tractor Supply last year. I currently have 3 hens and a rooster, but will probably pawn them off on my brother when I start my new flock. I have a fairly large back yard and I typically let my chickens free range. -Though I think I will partition off my yard this year and let my future flock free range perhaps only half of the day (or maybe build them a tractor to move about the yard.) My girls really tilled up the yard this past year.
I'm mainly concerned with getting eggs. Maybe next year I'll raise some broilers as well, or cull extra roosters if I buy straight run.
I am open to advise to help me decide which breed to get-perhaps another breed instead of Dorkings/Icelandics. Thank you.

If I were you, would go with a dorking because of their temperment. Dorkings will be very friendly, I once had a very nice dorking that could spend all day with you. Also, icelandics can be very hard to get.

Hello all. Glad to become a member of BYC,

I'm looking to buy a heritage breed and can't decide whether to get Dorkings or Icelandics...
The main traits I am looking for are: 1. birds that lay well in winter 2. excellent foragers 3. broodiness.
From what I've read, both breeds meet this criteria.
Some information: I live in San Angelo Texas (in town). I started with chickens from Tractor Supply last year. I currently have 3 hens and a rooster, but will probably pawn them off on my brother when I start my new flock. I have a fairly large back yard and I typically let my chickens free range. -Though I think I will partition off my yard this year and let my future flock free range perhaps only half of the day (or maybe build them a tractor to move about the yard.) My girls really tilled up the yard this past year.
I'm mainly concerned with getting eggs. Maybe next year I'll raise some broilers as well, or cull extra roosters if I buy straight run.
I am open to advise to help me decide which breed to get-perhaps another breed instead of Dorkings/Icelandics. Thank you.
I am unacquainted with dorkings but was given 8 icelandics by a friend and I AM impressed by them. They are not cuddly pets for sure but They tolerate our bitter winters in NW wyoming,and are tough birds who can fly and defend themselves. They can be broody. I want more.

yesterday we were visited by a fox who chased an Icelandic all over the place without luck. Our other breeds would have been dead meat in short order. Unfortunately my rifle jammed and the fox got away

Back
Top Bottom