Frustrated with Easter Egger

RamHemiTX

Chirping
Feb 6, 2015
My EE finally started laying but won't lay in the nesting box. She's laying on the floor of the run. The other girls say hey, that looks odd, let's peck the crap out of it. Once again, I end up with a pretty green egg that goes in the trash instead of the basket and ultimately my stomach.

At least this time I caught it before they cracked it open and ate it. Any advice on how to correct this? Girls are all the same age, I raised them as chicks.

1 Easter Egger
1 Welsummer
1 RIR
1 Gold Laced Wyandotte
1 Barnvelder

My EE finally started laying but won't lay in the nesting box. She's laying on the floor of the run. The other girls say hey, that looks odd, let's peck the crap out of it. Once again, I end up with a pretty green egg that goes in the trash instead of the basket and ultimately my stomach.

At least this time I caught it before they cracked it open and ate it. Any advice on how to correct this? Girls are all the same age, I raised them as chicks.

1 Easter Egger
1 Welsummer
1 RIR
1 Gold Laced Wyandotte
1 Barnvelder
Probably several things you can try, but mine never wanted to use a nest, plus they did not lay good---really not even decent. I sold the breeders. Might have been just mine---But I decided against them.

Could it be that a more dominant hen is bullying her out of the nest boxes? I had that issue. Enclosing the nest boxes a bit really helped get everybody to use them without the dominant hens picking on low ranking girls for just looking at the boxes.

I had bully leghorn not allow my EE into the nesting box. That leghorn was not laying because she was old, just being a bully. I got rid of her and now my EE is laying in the next box. Do you have enough nesting boxes for everyone? Maybe add an extra nesting box if you have room.

I've got three boxes. They only use one. She laid an egg the other day while standing on a roosting bar. She's an odd bird.

How old is she and how long has she been laying??

Put some fake eggs in a couple of the nests...can help spread the love and deter pullet curiosity pecking from being rewarded with a rich meal.

Hi ..I put nest eggs in the nest boxes but both my EE and my leghorn laying right in middle of coop! I have to check and get the eggs early or they get pecked. They are only 24 weeks old. I took out the best eggs cause the EE would not get off them!

Hi ..I put nest eggs in the nest boxes but both my EE and my leghorn laying right in middle of coop! I have to check and get the eggs early or they get pecked. They are only 24 weeks old. I took out the best eggs cause the EE would not get off them!
Just means she's practicing. It's very common for young pullets to sit in the nest for hours. Leave the fake eggs in the boxes.

Back
Top Bottom