Broody hen

chanamarie

In the Brooder
Mar 16, 2016
I have a Silkie hen who's been broody for just over a week or so. I haven't let her sit on any eggs (there are other hens laying and she'll just go and sit on them until I take them away daily), but now am thinking about giving her some to hatch out (or try). Has she been broody for too long already for that to work? Is it too early in the season (I mean too cold? I live in NY. We've had great weather for a few days, but it is still February)? Any broody hen tips?

I have Hens that hatched Chicks out in my garage...I have brooders set up and had the Hens set the eggs in there also...I have heat lamps over the brooder also ......not warm by no means, although not cold...The Hens keep the chicks warm.....

As long as you have a Rooster and he has been breeding ?......Pop eggs under her from today's eggs and set her up to set.....one week is not to long for her to start setting......

Cheers!

I would worry about the temperature before I worried about how long she has already been setting. Besides, these are not important factors to go by. I have had hens hatch chicks in December, January, and February. I also had a black Cochin bantam who was broody for over four months. She would hatch the chicks, and I would take them and raise them. She hatched chickens, ducks, and turkeys during this time.

Thanks, everyone.

I put some eggs into her nest and she settles right on them. The problem (?) now is that other chickens keep laying eggs in the coop and she keeps adding them to her nest. She was sitting on 9 eggs this morning and she's only a tiny bird! Should I take some away when she's not looking or just leave her to it and what will be will be?

I would take away the eggs that the other hens have been laying. a staggered hatch is not good because 24 to 48 hrs after her first babies hatch she will abandon any unhatched eggs so she can take care of her live babies.

Back
Top Bottom