Day 6 Candling (Ducks) / Can only see the yolk

HntrInTheWoods

In the Brooder
Feb 24, 2017
So, I have my doubts about these eggs from the start, as I had a pretty bad temperature fluctuation over the first night. I'd stuck around for a few hours, the night before, just to make sure it stayed where it was supposed to, and the next morning I checked on them, and they were at 110. Instantly opened the box, and let them cool until the thermometer read 99.5, and temp/humidity has been perfect ever since. Well, humidity keeps fighting me at 50 and 60%, and doesn't want to stay at 55, but it's close.

Anyway, It's day six, and candling shows nothing but yolks. Most are pretty slow to move around the side of the egg when turned, and one or two move freely. I'm thinking that if any of them survive, it definitely wont be those two. How much, if anything, should I be seeing during candling at day 6? I'm not sure what breed these ducks are, just that they were indeed, fertilized.

I've seen plenty of photos saying that seeing the yolks is good, and how they're supposed to move when turned, but i've also seen a few photos of successful Day 6 candlings, and they don't look anything like mine.

Any insight would be helpful.

Last edited:
This is my chick egg at day 6, though I'm worried that it may be a quitter...

Here's a pic of day 4 with veins showing

My incubators temp spiked to 110 for about 6 hours my last attempt to hatch. I was only incubating 3 eggs but none developed

Quote: Yea, my eggs don't have any dark spots or veins that I can see..I'd show a photo, but i'm currently candling it with the LED on my phone, so no camera..

Last edited:
When did you buy/get the eggs? Also where did you get the eggs?

I got them on 2/18 at a local farmers market. The weather was about 60 degrees, so I figured it wouldn't have been any issues between laying, and getting them to the market. It was from a very trustworthy amish family.

Just to add an update:

9 of the 12 eggs I started simply look like egg yolk floating in egg white. 2 of the 12 look like something is/was going on in there, and one, is absolutely perfect. Looks like I'll be having 1 little duck when all is said and done. Being that he's going to be my first duck ever hatched, I guess he's never going to end up on my plate. lol. Now lets see if I can get him through incubation safely.

Back
Top Bottom