Broken neck?

wpowell1983

In the Brooder
Feb 24, 2017

Sometime Wednesday night I think my two rooster got in a fight between a chain link pen. I'm thinking he got his head caught in the pen and maybe hurt himself somehow. I've felt everything but can't find a problem and it's obvious he is in pain.

Hi, welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Sorry to hear that, it definitely looks uncomfortable.
sad.png

I was actually expecting to see maybe wry neck before opening your post. But instead I have a couple of questions...

So, what time of the night did this allegedly take place? Reason I ask is... if it's dark the roosters will be roosting and not fighting with each other. Which would actually indicate a predator attack...
hu.gif

Did you actually hear anything and do you lock them up or whatever every evening, so you know it happened THAT night?

No I heard nothing! I just came out to him like this. I only think they were fighting because my other rooster in the pen is bloody. This hurt rooster's comb is but besides that no obvious injuries. He is so sweet and my heart is breaking.

Sometime Wednesday night I think my two rooster got in a fight between a chain link pen. I'm thinking he got his head caught in the pen and maybe hurt himself somehow. I've felt everything but can't find a problem and it's obvious he is in pain. Hi
frow.gif
Welcome To BYC
He does look like he is in pain. Can you take him to a vet?

You may want to separate him into a crate or wire kennel so you can give him individualized care - he can also rest and hopefully recover without being bothered by other roosters and/or hens.
Offer him some poultry vitamins - watch to see if he is drinking. Give him extra protein like egg or tuna in addition to his normal feed.

For pain you can dissolve a low dose aspirin (81mg) in a quart of water. Make fresh everyday. Vet can give him something stronger.

http://extension.msstate.edu/content/solutions-and-treatments

Last edited:
Well, how is he doing today?

If he is eating and drinking, I would just do as @Wyorp Rock suggested. Offering electrolytes, vitamins, protein, and rest. Injuries can take a while to repair themselves... I speak with personal experience. I recently dislocated my elbow. But during the fall suffered an injury that made the opposite arm numb down the backside and half of my hand. Not numb like pain free but the kind where it's constant pins and needles and pain. Research says that it may or may not go away and could take up to 2 years to resolve. The irony of being in pain of both arms at the same time and thinking about driving 2 hours each way to the in laws made me cry until I laughed and then cried some more.
hmm.png
Now it's been almost 6 months and the brachial plexis injury that is common to football players when being tackled (
tongue.png
) is ALMOST gone from this house wife!
yesss.gif
So if it's something like that, he may just be SLOW recovering. But if he isn't eating or drinking... I would consider helping him out of his discomfort. Though my actual hope is for a good update from you!
fl.gif

He is doing much better today! He is eating and drinking and standing up straighter now. I'm so relieved
1f601.png
He still has all that blood on his comb and he doesn't want me messing with it but he is enjoying all the loving attention!

He is doing much better today! He is eating and drinking and standing up straighter now. I'm so relieved
1f601.png
He still has all that blood on his comb and he doesn't want me messing with it but he is enjoying all the loving attention!
Poor fella. His comb looks like it will heal fine barring any infection. I'm glad to hear he is standing up a bit better. Neck injury/trauma can take a while to recover from.
How is the other rooster?

So my sons dog got his rooster. She actually did not bite into him but he definately seems to have a broken neck. Ive been reading all the stories on here and other sights trying to figure outvhow to help the poor thing. The dog was shaking it when i got him away from her as if he were a toy. I thought for sure he was dead but its been over a week and he is still alive. Any advise anyone can give me is welcome. I watch my sons children everyday so im there all day and am the one who feeds his two dogs ,two kittens 3 chickens and the rooster. I love these animals and want to save this rooster. Sincerely. Ms. T

Back
Top Bottom