Silkie/Americauna mix having trouble walking

kabeswater

Hatching
Feb 24, 2017
Hi!! I have a silkie/ameraucana mix that has the feet of a silkie but the rounder body and slight feathers of an americauna. It's about a month old and has no problem balancing on its feet and flapping from one place to another to get somewhere, but I have noticed it refuses to walk regular distances. I am afraid this may be because of the mix breed?? Any suggestions? And no it's not spraddle leg : )

Last edited:
Have you looked carefully on the bottoms of its feet for any wounds? Cuts, splinters, that sort of thing, can get infected and swell, causing pain when walking.

It's a beautiful chick. has it been eating and pooping normally? Do the other chicks show any signs of picking on it? Does this chick appear to be avoiding the other chicks?

It was the only egg hatched and its the only chick currently in the brooder so no picking on by other chicks. We keep shredded soft wood on the ground (normal brooder padding) so I don't think it's that. Other than that it's been regularly eating chick feed and drinking water and pooping. I've been keeping an eye on it to see if there's any progress but no dice : (

Back
Top Bottom