What breed(s) are my new hens?

tuesdaylove

Crowing
11 Years
Mar 3, 2012
Georgia
Hello y'all!

Yesterday I got two standard sized hens to keep my mean old Cochin bantam rooster company. About a year ago, he became aggressive to the bantam hens and nearly killed them, so he lived alone until I came across these hens. They're twice his size, so they can defend themselves if he attacks them -- but he only tried once, and they put him in his place! Everyone's getting along fine now.

I was wondering if y'all can tell me what these chickens are, and if they are indeed hens, though I assume if they weren't, the rooster would've given them a harder time. I'm a bantam person myself so I'm not used to identifying big hens. The man I got them from said they were siblings and both Rhode Island Reds, but they look quite different -- the darker one has a rose comb. He also said "they're nine months old and they just started laying eggs," and I thought they laid at 6 months? So can anyone give me a rough estimate of their age? I haven't seen any eggs from them since they arrived about 24 hours ago but I assume they're coming.

The darker brown one with a rose comb is Arizona, and the lighter one is Alabama. In the first picture they're standing next to aforementioned Cochin bantam rooster, Georgia.

Thanks in advance!!!

Okay I have no clue whatsoever, but I love the look of the red one at the end
big_smile.png

If they are sibling then they are crossbreds. Nine months looks about right, I don't think they are year old yet. I'd say they are likely Wyandotte crosses going by their general size and shape. Along with the yellow legs and one being rose combed. Could have Rhode Island Red in them but they are for sure not pure. Any disturbance will upset laying, such as being moved and a new home and surrounds. They usually will stop laying for a few weeks until they get settled in. Then they will resume laying. Being that there are no other hens in their new home they may not take quite as long to resume regular laying.

Back
Top Bottom